Joining forces for the new wave..

Tannin Aquatics

There's a new wave coming.

You've heard this expression before in lots of different things...art, music, cuisine, etc....However, the aquarium hobby does have a new wave coming. In retrospect, you might say that it's already here. 

13169799_906688739457937_1433510882_o_02

The freshwater hobby is entering a new "renaissance" of sorts. An incredible time, filed by new ideas and innovations. Yet, not everyone seems to have gotten the message.

IMG_0112_large.JPG?v=1475674778

I received a call from a pretty advanced cichlid breeder the other day, who was relaying to me some of the scathing teasing and criticism she was receiving from some reefer friends over the past couple of years, who went out of their way to remind her that she was operating in the "minor leagues" of the aquarium world, "wasting her talent" on the "brown fish."

IMG_4483_large.JPG?v=1475156655

As a reefer, I found the stuff that they were saying to her insulting, short-sighted, and remarkably typical of some of the rhetoric I've heard over the years. It made me think the reef keeping side of the hobby is starting to "show its age" a bit. It made me a bit angry, actually.

I received some of this same criticism when I started Tannin..."good old boy" humor that I think carried the undertones of a detrimental "cultural belief." (click to read more)