Tds from RO unit

I have a automated RO unit which fills a tank with RO water which has a tds of 18 - 20. I then use this water directly from the holding tank to my tanks for top ups

I can also fill my drinking water by turn another tap which then moves the water from the holding tank through a reminerliser to my drinking water gallon.

My question is

Is the 20 tds ok to use or I need 0 tds.

If I need 0 tds which can be achieved by tweaking the system, the guy said I cant use this system to remineralise and drink the water anymore coz it would be like distilled water.

I was hitting 2 birds with 1 stone. Not sure now.

Any suggestions about the tds requirement whether 0 or 20 works and if I can't use it for drinking anymore ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A TDS of 20 should be fine as long as your KH coming out of the unit is almost zero (assuming this is tailored towards Caridina shrimp tanks). 

Will check it tonight but I think it's 0-1

How will I know if it's zero coz I need to add 1 drop and if it changes Colour then kh 1

Will check it tonight but I think it's 0-1

How will I know if it's zero coz I need to add 1 drop and if it changes Colour then kh 1

This is a limitation of titration style test kits. You cannot test for zero. Less than one is as close as you will be able to test for.

One drop is generally less than 1 degree of hardness, depending on your specific test kit.

Your TDS meter at 20 ppm also means that your KH cannot be much higher than 1 (1dH =17.8ppm).

20 ppm should be fine for top offs. For water changes, you will need to remineralize for your shrimp as well to replace the calcium and magnesium that they need for their shells and for good health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a limitation of titration style test kits. You cannot test for zero. Less than one is as close as you will be able to test for.
One drop is generally less than 1 degree of hardness, depending on your specific test kit.
Your TDS meter at 20 ppm also means that your KH cannot be much higher than 1 (1dH =17.8ppm).
20 ppm should be fine for top offs. For water changes, you will need to remineralize for your shrimp as well to replace the calcium and magnesium that they need for their shells and for good health.

Thank you. So I will continue using it instead of making it zero in this way I can still get me drinking water. An for remineralizing will consider the 20 tds and work around it. Would that approach work ?

Thank you. So I will continue using it instead of making it zero in this way I can still get me drinking water. An for remineralizing will consider the 20 tds and work around it. Would that approach work ?

There are quite a few good remineralizers designed for shrimp. I use SL Blue Wizard, some use SaltyShrimp. Some mix in tap water to get to ideal parameters. Depends on your species of shrimp and what you have available.

There are quite a few good remineralizers designed for shrimp. I use SL Blue Wizard, some use SaltyShrimp. Some mix in tap water to get to ideal parameters. Depends on your species of shrimp and what you have available.

I have both Salty shrimp and SL Aqua Blue Wizard the green bottle. I must say using SL Aqua is very easy and convenient. However I do have a question while we on the same topic.

We usually drip water in shrimp tanks to avoid fluctuation in the water para instantly, so with ss you prepare the mix and drip added it. I also read with SL Aqua it can be added directly into the tank with the shrimp.

Doesn't the change in Gh and tds affect shrimps ?

I have both Salty shrimp and SL Aqua Blue Wizard the green bottle. I must say using SL Aqua is very easy and convenient. However I do have a question while we on the same topic.

We usually drip water in shrimp tanks to avoid fluctuation in the water para instantly, so with ss you prepare the mix and drip added it. I also read with SL Aqua it can be added directly into the tank with the shrimp.

Doesn't the change in Gh and tds affect shrimps ?

I myself add small fertilizer and remineralize in a 5 gallon bottle. Then I do a 10% water change from that container once a week for a month. The incoming and outgoing water are close enough that my shrimp don't seem to mind. My TDS go down about 10 points during the change and my GH does not budge. I could drip it in, but in practice it does not seem to make a difference for me.

I have seen other members like@bostoneric talk about just adding raw RO directly to the tank and adjust with SLAqua Blue Wizard right in the tank, using TDS pen to know when to stop adding.