A year in the life...

Tannin Aquatics

"You’ve got to jump off the cliff all the time and build your wings on the way down.”- Ray Bradbury

[IMG]

It's been a little over a year since Tannin "opened its doors" (electronically-speaking), and during that time, we've gone from being a "What is that about?" thing to "This is exactly what I was looking for..." to many hobbyists worldwide, and we're seeing more and more adventurous and excited fish geeks playing with not only our products, but more important- with the concept of using botanical materials to create truly more natural-looking-and functioning- aquarium designs.

[IMG]

This has been a super gratifying experience, and I'm pleased to have played a small role in helping bring this much-underserved niche of the hobby to the forefront of more people's minds. Without a growing and engaged crowd, we'd just be a bunch of fish geeks playing with, as one of my friends gleefully asserts, "Twigs and nuts!"

That being said, I think we are starting to see a few techniques and "best practices" emerge from the darkness, based on the body of experience that we now have. A lot of this started with mental adjustments. Just contemplating setting up an aquarium with brown water and slowly decomposing leaves and botanicals is a huge mental leap for many of us, coming out of the "pristine-looking glass box" mind set that we've been indoctrinated into for so long. (click to read more)