Shrimp unboxing and how I acclimate my shrimp

1-2 hours is perfect to be honest.  4-5 hours in my opinion too long in a bowl.  Also I like to test the GH/KH of the water they came in.  This gives me an idea of the changes they will need to adjust to in the time period.  Never had a death dripping them in an hour time.  Great video.

My new favorite method of drip acclimation is utilizing the Marina HOB Breeding Boxes.  (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QRDDJ2/ref=twister_B00Q4PKI7A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)  I set the air to "drip" at about 1 drop per second and walk away.  If I forget about the shrimp for a while or have to leave the house, there are no issues, no spilled water, tank is still at the same level, etc..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 10:33 AM, wyzazz said:

My new favorite method of drip acclimation is utilizing the Marina HOB Breeding Boxes.  (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QRDDJ2/ref=twister_B00Q4PKI7A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)  I set the air to "drip" at about 1 drop per second and walk away.  If I forget about the shrimp for a while or have to leave the house, there are no issues, no spilled water, tank is still at the same level, etc..

But wouldn't this method also introduce foreign bacteria into your tank? I've had a vibro bacterial infection in one of my tanks awhile back when I had my neos and introduced Oebts from aquabid. My guess is that when I added in the mosses and plants that my shrimp were shipped with it infected my tank. I would assume you fill the breeder box with some of the original water right? The neos dropped like flies and heads turned an orange/reddish internally. I had to act fast and treat with oxytetracycline,  which I believe every shrimp keeper should have next to an incubator. 

Interesting thought/perspective.  I always quarantine so I guess I've never had an issue similar to this.  Before going to their permanent home, or being mixed with other shrimp, new shrimp go to an observation/quarantine tank that I keep cycled with snails.