Berried female help!!!

I have 2 berried females in a 20 gallon heavily planted tank. I have a 10 gallon cycling to be a shrimp only tank, however, it's not going to be ready before these two females are. I have two gourami, a baby Betta, and 3 neons. I'm very concerned about the babies ability to survive in my tank with the fish even as heavily planted as it is. I have tossed around a couple ideas but most all seem to lead to stress on the mama shrimps and or my fish. My last idea is a make shift breeder box floating in my 20 gallon to keep the females in until needed and further for the offsprings. My 10 gallon should be cycled enough in a couple weeks or so. Any suggestions??? Thank you9f28ec37bacda9b1e258a6b244d3d893.jpgd5624edf5ed6468931b17797a213b211.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a breeder box as it'll probably provide the least amount of stress to your fish and shrimp. If you could put something like filter floss over the lid part to cover up the slits I think it'd work well to keep your babies from getting out. It has to be something that allows water to flow into the breeder box but has small enough holes that the baby shrimp can't fit through. Adding plants to the breeder box would also help to reduce the stress on the berried female and provide a natural food source for her and the babies to graze on. Hope this helps and good luck!

I like the idea of a breeder box as it'll probably provide the least amount of stress to your fish and shrimp. If you could put something like filter floss over the lid part to cover up the slits I think it'd work well to keep your babies from getting out. It has to be something that allows water to flow into the breeder box but has small enough holes that the baby shrimp can't fit through. Adding plants to the breeder box would also help to reduce the stress on the berried female and provide a natural food source for her and the babies to graze on. Hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you so much! I plan to add plants and moss balls but I wanted to get some opinions before I did to much. I will definitely have to figure out what to use to cover the slits. I have an idea I'm not sure if it'll work but I have a tank divider that might fit in enough to close it and allow water to flow. I'll try that and I will repost as things progress!

Sounds like that'd work and it'd probably be less work than finding something to cover the slits. I'd say that's your main concern so if you're able to get good water flow through the box without the babies getting out you should be able to keep them in there until your other tank is cycled. No problem. Hope it works out and hope you get lots of babies!

Sounds like that'd work and it'd probably be less work than finding something to cover the slits. I'd say that's your main concern so if you're able to get good water flow through the box without the babies getting out you should be able to keep them in there until your other tank is cycled. No problem. Hope it works out and hope you get lots of babies!
Now I have a bigger problem. All my shrimp seem to be dying rapidly and I have no idea what would cause this my water parameters are where they should be

2 hours ago, jen.finley477 said:

Now I have a bigger problem. All my shrimp seem to be dying rapidly and I have no idea what would cause this my water parameters are where they should be

How many and how often are your shrimp dying? Did you do anything differently this last water change or did you add something new to the tank recently?

How many and how often are your shrimp dying? Did you do anything differently this last water change or did you add something new to the tank recently?
I've lost 4 in the last couple hours and I have 5 left including the 2 berried females. None of which look very good. I got a couple new plants last night but I washed them very well at least I think I washed them off well enough. I don't ever buy plants that are in that gel like substrate in plastic tubes but it was all I could find that was what I needed for my tank. That's all I can think of. I'm so sad

6 minutes ago, jen.finley477 said:

I've lost 4 in the last couple hours and I have 5 left including the 2 berried females. None of which look very good. I got a couple new plants last night but I washed them very well at least I think I washed them off well enough. I don't ever buy plants that are in that gel like substrate in plastic tubes but it was all I could find that was what I needed for my tank. That's all I can think of. I'm so sad

Hmmm that's definitely cause for concern. I'm sorry for your losses :(  I tried looking up info on the gel used to grow the plants but there's not much and all the forums that mentioned it said they had no problems, but they only mentioned fish. It sounds like a nutrient gel and should be safe for fish, but it's possible, although IMO unlikely, that it affects shrimp differently. Where did you buy the plants? 

I think your best option is to do a water change now since the deaths are coming so rapidly. I'd say at least 20% considering how drastic it sounds. How're the fish?

Hmmm that's definitely cause for concern. I'm sorry for your losses [emoji20]  I tried looking up info on the gel used to grow the plants but there's not much and all the forums that mentioned it said they had no problems, but they only mentioned fish. It sounds like a nutrient gel and should be safe for fish, but it's possible, although IMO unlikely, that it affects shrimp differently. Where did you buy the plants? 

I think your best option is to do a water change now since the deaths are coming so rapidly. I'd say at least 20% considering how drastic it sounds. How're the fish?
So far I believe it is the plants and the substance they were in apparently is in fact copper based [emoji17] my fish are fine.

Ahh that'd make sense. Prime works well to dechlorinate water and remove copper. I used it to dechlorinate my tap water before I switched over to RO water and I saw a big difference in the health of my shrimp. I'd suggest changing out some water and adding Prime to the new water. Good luck!