What is wrong with my crystal red?

Shrimpsnoob

Hi all am new to the forumn. I added 10 crystal red and black in a 3 gallon cycled tank yesterday. Before acclimation, i saw a molt in the bag. Then after drip acclimation i saw 2 more new molts. Then immediately after i release them into the 3 gallon tank, i notice that 1 of the crs is a bit weird. It has a transparent band between its neck and body. I did not see the band when i purchase it. What is wrong with it? U could see the transparent band in the picture. I thought it is going to molt so i let it be but this morning i wake up and it is still like tat. If it is failing to molt, wat can i do or how long will it be like tat for?

2018-04-08 16.02.33.jpg

Hi thks for the reply. I think its a failed molt. The shrimp had passed away not long ago........hopefully the remaining shrimps will do fine.

My water parameter are as follows using api liquid test kit:

Ph 6.6 to 6.8 (i find the color for ph and nitrate difficult to read from the chart...)

Ammonia and nitrite 0

Nitrate about 5 to 10 ppm. My tap has nitrate at 10ppm. I just managed to get some duckweed. Hopefully it will help.

Kh is 1.

Gh is 6. Is it ok? Getting quite confused. Some people say 3 to 4 is better. But some say 5 to 6 is better. 

Whatever parameters work for your tank keep it that way. Also try feeding more Ca/Mg to help with the molting. Usually green veggies have alot of Ca such as mulberry,spinach,peas,dandelion, etc just do some research and it will be ok.

Actually this is the 1st time i am keeping crystal shrimps. Previously kept cherry shrimps on and off but they does not seems to survive. The last batch of cherries i bought a berried female and it even gave birth to about 15 shrimplets. All went well for like 1month plus then suddenly the adults start dying followed by the shrimplets also started to die. I lost all of them except for 1 within just a few days. Could not find out why at all. Now i am only left with 1 lonely rcs baby about 2mth plus old which i had put together with the crystals. So i make a daring decision and get crystal to see if a different spieces will work out. Hoping they will survive n thrive.

@Shrimpsnoob

GH at 6 is fine.... they range from 4-6. At the end of the day, it's whatever works best for you. I normally try to keep the GH the same as the place I purchased it from, so it's less stress. So, if the person I bought the shrimp from has a GH of 5, i try to keep it at 5 as well.

It's also possible the shrimp died due to stress, the older they are, the harder it is for them to adapt to new environments. 

Are you using RODI water and remineralizing it? Whats your TDS

I am using tap water. My tank tds is 220. I tested my tap water tds is 84. So i think its the substrate that had raise the tds? I use auqa up shrimp sand to buffer my ph to 6.6 as my tap ph is 7.6. I had lost 2 shrimps to the transparent band and i think i saw a 3rd one developing the band as well. I do see a few molts in tank but not sure if its the molts of those with the bands or those without the bands. I read that the band can be caused my high protein in their diet as well but i don't think their diet is high protien? I feed them algae wafer in tiny amt every other day, spinach and sweet pepper in rotation. 

If you are using tap water with CRS (or most Caradina Shrimp) you will likely run into issues.  Do you know what your GH & KH are?  Shrimp should subsist on a mostly veggie/biofilm diet but do need to be supplemented with protein.  You may want to try varying your diet more, you may also want to look into transitioning them into 120-150 TDS Water with 0-2KH and 4-6GH, these are the typically recommended parameters for CRS.  

My gh is 6 and kh is 1. Both within the recommended parameters. I forgot to mention i do feed hikari crab crusine pellets once a week also. I did lost a 3rd shrimp to the white band again. I am thinking, can i use the water from my 10gallon guppies tank that had been running for nearly 1.5yrs? Like drain a certain amt of water from the 10gallon and use it as top up for the shrimp tank? All parameter is the same for both tank except tat the tds is 118 in the 10 gallon. Is it a good idea? Of course i will test to make sure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at safe level before using for the shrimp tank.

What would that accomplish?  I'd start adding calcium to your tank (Montmorillonite Clay, Crushed Eggshells, Crushed cuttlebone, etc...) and look at a diet variation if you can.  Do you have a water report letting you know what is in your tap water?  JMO but using tap water with shrimp is always risky.  You don't know what the mineral content of the water is, or what chemicals the municipality or your well has leeched into the water.  

I use in the past Ro water , and aso had a problem with crs, my ro wate has tds 50-60ppm... :) very hard hater...

No i get a di unit and i take ro water 15 ppm.. and crs grow fine...

Tap water is a risk...

I keep crs to 120-130 ppm Gh 4  with salty shrimp gh, i try in the past to get 150ppm( gh 5-6), as more breeders and salty shrimp recomment and  i loose all the babies , problem with moult..

Thanks for all the advices.

I do have cuttlefish bone and Montmorillonite stone inside my tank. Infact the shrimp sand that I uses states that it has put in montmorillonite in the sand too. Therefore I only put 3 very small pieces of the stone in as I had read that too much of it will have a negative effect to it as well. My tap water should be quite safe to use. I tested the water and it has 0 ammonia and nitrite and copper, 5ppm of nitrate and tds 84. So I thought I could use it. Can I use those bottled distill water instead of RO water?

1 hour ago, Shrimpsnoob said:

My tap water should be quite safe to use. I tested the water and it has 0 ammonia and nitrite and copper, 5ppm of nitrate and tds 84. So I thought I could use it. Can I use those bottled distill water instead of RO water?

Your tap can still contain many other unknown chemicals from the water municipality.

Yes, you can use distilled water instead of RO water.

As mentioned above, distilled is just fine to use.  I also know that some folks utilize rainwater, but unless you're in a rural area and have access to clean runoff, I wouldn't do that.  

17 minutes ago, Shrimpsnoob said:

Thanks a lot for the advices. I had gotton a bottle of distill water and it is being drip in slowly as top up now as i type this message. Doing it very slowly at 2s per drop kind. I think it will finish dripping tomorrow morning. Lol.

Remineralized Distilled water correct?  Just checking!