what to do when substrate is exhausted?

change out the substrate? change half the substrate by cycling the substrate in a tub with cycled media or use a substrate that doesnt leach much ammonia such as sl aqua or controlsoil....gl matey

ps:what are you keeping in that tank?

18 hours ago, ILikeAsianBooty said:

change out the substrate? change half the substrate by cycling the substrate in a tub with cycled media or use a substrate that doesnt leach much ammonia such as sl aqua or controlsoil....gl matey

ps:what are you keeping in that tank?

Agreed, carefully remove and then add substrate.  Brightwell, Controsoil, Fluval Stratum and Akadama don't leech ammonia.  Be careful with Akadama though, it can suck up minerals for a while.  You can also reuse the exhausted substrate in a Neo tank if you have any.  (Or send it to me, I have 2 more I'm setting up!)  

Well you have a few options here. You can convert it to a Neocaridina or Fish tank when it stops buffering... you can start a new separate tank and then transfer your shrimp over to the other/new setup. I find that it would be very hard to move substrate thats that old without causing some water quality issues that will affect the shrimp... Maybe someone who has DONE  it with success can recommend it.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:01 AM, chappy6107 said:

I am in the process of making some mesh baskets specifically for this purpose so that you dont have to tear down the whole tank.  I'll post them when I finish the next one.

This is what I was talking about.  It allows more access to the substrate within vs. a bowl or cup.

IMAG2085.jpg

6 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

This is what I was talking about.  It allows more access to the substrate within vs. a bowl or cup.

IMAG2085.jpg

Very nice, you'll have to let us all know how it works out for you!  On a side note, I've also heard of folks putting active substrate in a canister filter and using inert substrate in the tank.  If you're using a canister or HOB filter that may be an option for you.  

2 hours ago, wyzazz said:

Very nice, you'll have to let us all know how it works out for you!  On a side note, I've also heard of folks putting active substrate in a canister filter and using inert substrate in the tank.  If you're using a canister or HOB filter that may be an option for you.  

I dont keep any caridina species so I doubt I will use it much.  I just figured I could make them for shrimpers needing an easy way to swap out active substrates.

This one is the length of the side of a 10 gallon tank and holds ~2 1/2 cups of substrate or ~36 cu inches. 9"x2"x2".  they can be made a bit longer, much taller, and wider to accommodate more substrate.

I may have to think about making some for the 40 Breeders I just got.  I could put them right up against the Matten Filters.  Or maybe just utilize them after the substrate is exhausted.  

12 minutes ago, wyzazz said:

I may have to think about making some for the 40 Breeders I just got.  I could put them right up against the Matten Filters.  Or maybe just utilize them after the substrate is exhausted.  

they would blend in pretty good with the matten filters

Just now, chappy6107 said:

they would blend in pretty good with the matten filters

And while probably not needed, would also become part of the biological filtration of the tank.