Orange eye blue tiger shrimplets !!!! Advice please :)

Hey there ! 

Last month, I bought 6 small oebt shrimps that were actually sold as feeders (OMG) and placed them in my cycled Fluval Edge with about 5 Amano Shrimps and a bamboo shrimp . This morning while doing my weekly wc pumping gravel , i  noticed a small pale blue shrimplet ! I was so happy ! 

I wanted to ask for advice of any breeders here in order to give them the best life ☺ I counted about 4 of them but I know for sure that most are hiding in my huge java moss . 

Here are some basic infos :

- pH : 7.0-7.2 

- gH : 5-6 

- kH: 4 

- T° : 23°-25° (its usually around 20° but its the hottest days /weeks of year here) 

- Aquaclear 10  with the usual sponge/carbon/bag of white ceramic cubes + sponge to prevent the babies from getting sucked up

- Mopany wood + anubias (where the Bamboo shrimp hangs and feeds with fans ;) 

- Mopany wood with about 4 big handfuls of java moss

- small white gravel

- I feed Hikari crab cuisine + Hikari First bites ( intended to feed the bamboo shrimp) 

- i also feed Omega One Spirulina flakes for the hungry Amano Shrimps every 3 days. 

Q:  I wonder how much to feed without overfeeding ? 

Q2 : Should i feed something else for the berried shrimp shrimplets ? 

Q3 : How often should I vacuum clean with the shrimplets dwelling on the white gravel? 

Q4 : is Melafix every day ok to prevent the common bacterial infections due to higher temps? The temperature hangs around 23-24 ° C 

Q5: What is the approx time between the female giving birth and next time she gets berried? 

Thanks in advance for everything !

Lily :)sketch-1531169764179.png.8596082731b7a466a03da79efb47228a.png

Ps: the gravel and water is murky because i was vacuuming and doing wc when noticing this tiny lil shrimpy☺☺

First and foremost, Congratulations!  

The first thing I'd suggest is to try and keep the temp below 72F (22C), these shrimp will do better in temps below that.  Much above that and they become more susceptible to bacterial infections and have a reduced life cycle.  You can try a fan blowing on the surface of the water to keep temps down. 

I don't think I'd dose Melafix every day, if you don't have an infection then don't dose.  You have a chance of killing the beneficial bacteria in your tank by dosing meds like that consistently. 

I'd also try and hold off on the gravel vacuuming, most of us do not gravel vac our shrimp tanks at all because we'd constantly be sucking up baby shrimp!  

As for feeding, the babies will likely subsist on detritus and biofilm so there aren't really any worries there.  As for overfeeding, I feed in a dish and remove what isn't consumed in 2-4 hours.  

Pregnancy for dwarf shrimp works like this.  A female shrimp becomes saddled, then she molts.  Once she molts you generally see the males swimming around the tank like crazy.  One (or a few) of them will find her and quickly mate with her.  Shortly thereafter (less than a day) you will then see a berried female carrying eggs on her undercarriage.  Around 4-6 weeks after (depending on the species and temp, tigers tend to take longer) she will release her shrimplets.  

Any chance you can get some pictures of the parents?  I don't really see any orange eyes on the shrimplet and want to try and ensure you have what you think you have.  

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply! :)

• How do you manage to prevent any build up of nitrates if you dont vacuum? 

Usually i vacuum and then check with a white dish if there are any small shrimps (or guppy fry for the other tanks ) . 

• I will buy a shrimp dish too. Do you use some sort of pincers to put the small pellets in the dish or do you usually take the dish out , fill it and try to put it in the bottom of tank slowly ? 

• Only a couple of my blue tiger shrimps have orange eyes. Some don't ...i bought from the same tank/seller who told me i was buying crystal black shrimps. I then checked on the net and saw that most of my 6 blue tiger shrimps have orange eyes. I assumed they all were oebt shrimps. I have seen only 4 shrimplets running around tank so i wasnt able to see if some have orange eyes....

No problem!  

• I keep Nitrates down with Water Changes and Plants.  Also, using a dish for feeding keeps a lot of debris and leftover food out of the substrate.  
  • I use a piece of airline tubing to remove the food.  TBH I don't often need to do this, I've gotten feeding down to a science and my shrimp typically consume everything I give them.  
  • Take some pics and post them up here when you have time.  Collectively we should be able to determine what exactly you have.  All of my OEBT and OERBT breed true for Orange Eyes.  

On 7/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, chappy6107 said:

Depending on the type of food you feed such as small pelleted food, you can drop it through a straw or tube to make it land in the dish.

Wow great tip ! Thanks ill give it a try 😃

On 7/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, wyzazz said:

No problem!  

• I keep Nitrates down with Water Changes and Plants.  Also, using a dish for feeding keeps a lot of debris and leftover food out of the substrate.  
  • I use a piece of airline tubing to remove the food.  TBH I don't often need to do this, I've gotten feeding down to a science and my shrimp typically consume everything I give them.  
  • Take some pics and post them up here when you have time.  Collectively we should be able to determine what exactly you have.  All of my OEBT and OERBT breed true for Orange Eyes.  

Hey there! I managed to take two pictures of my  shrimps ... one of my 6 blue shrimp . The other were glass surfing like crazy because of the feeding i guess.... are they  blue tiger shrimps or sapphire shrimps?? I know i have  at least two of my 6 shrimps that are oebt since they had striking orange eyes when i bought them ...as for the other 4... i assumed they were all the same since they were in the same batch at petshop..

But i was wrong right? 

20180713_001442.jpg

20180713_001338.jpg

20180713_001442.jpg

20180713_001459.jpg

Looks like what we would call "Blue Dream" here in the US.  A Blue Neocaridina.  Also, some baby shrimp can have orange eyes for a little while, they will turn dark with time.  Not saying you don't have OEBT, but just so you are aware that this can happen.  

5 hours ago, wyzazz said:

Looks like what we would call "Blue Dream" here in the US.  A Blue Neocaridina.  Also, some baby shrimp can have orange eyes for a little while, they will turn dark with time.  Not saying you don't have OEBT, but just so you are aware that this can happen.  

Ohhh :) ! I didnt know their eyes could change... anyways thank you!  ☺ i will be happy with any species i have☺