Tap Water

thenamespo

Remineralized RO for me, my tap is way too far off for Taiwan Bees and most any shrimp for that matter! 

What are your tap water parameters?  Are you on a well or on a municipal water source?  Buffered/active substrate or inert?  What kind of Taiwan Bees are you keeping?  

If it works, then it works.  Some of us are blessed with good tap water, others are not.  Are you on a well or municipal water source?  If you are on "City Water" I think you're playing with fire.  If they flush the system or add something to the water that the shrimp don't' like, you run the risk of losing everything.  Just something to be aware of.  

I have a hard enough time getting my bees and pintos to successfully breed in remineralized r/o water with ideal parameters. I wouldn't trust the seasonal fluctuations in both carbonates and minerals from our tap source.... not to mention whatever other "additives" they may add. 

I have seen a few posts on the forums where people have mentioned keeping CRS in neo parameters...or let's just say tap water with a pinch of cal/mag when needed. I assume they are working with fairly soft tap water to begin with. I'm not brave enough to try with my bees and pintos, even though we have somewhat soft water ourselves (KH 1-2 GH 2-3 and a TDS of 50-60). One good thing about our tap source is my r/o membranes last for years. 

I guess everyone here does use RO water for bees! Since I been keeping them in tap, I haven’t had deaths relating to water issues. I don’t even remember the last time I saw a dead shrimp in my tanks. And they breed fairly quick, though it did take 6 months for my tibee tanks to breed. CBS and PRL bred like rabbits though

Well lucky you then :)  I would really love to have a natural source of water as the water here in Singapore his pretty heavily treated 😕 pH in my water is through the roof (7.6++). Didn't even bother measuring my kH too :P The only plus side is that the water is relatively clean? (TDS 40-50) so it doesn't really exhaust my RODI too quickly.