Aquarium salts in shrimp tank?

shrimp1989

Personally no? But I don't think it would benefit them much. I have head of some people keeping cherries in 1.004 SPG but only after they were acclimatized really slowly. There are plenty of other additives that you could add to your tank that could be beneficial for shrimp :)  

Thanks for the input! Some people do it for fish so I was just curious.

I just got Dr Tim's probiotics and have added that. What other things would you recommend adding to the tank? [emoji846]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nope! Just good clean water with a thriving bacterial colony is all you need for healthy shrimp 99% of the time :) Your shrimp should be getting all the nutrients they need through a proper balanced diet too! Additives are for when you want to have a fail-safe when your water quality isn't pristine or when your shrimp aren't getting what they need from their food

Nope! Just good clean water with a thriving bacterial colony is all you need for healthy shrimp 99% of the time [emoji4] Your shrimp should be getting all the nutrients they need through a proper balanced diet too! Additives are for when you want to have a fail-safe when your water quality isn't pristine or when your shrimp aren't getting what they need from their food
Curious about this fail safe. I do water changes of 25% every 3 weeks.

Personally I like to add BacterAE at least once every week to improve the digestive system of my shrimp and to ensure the babies have some food. I also use Purigen (not sure if it can be considered as an additive tho) to make sure that I'm protected from any sudden Ammonia spikes or high levels of nitrates when I'm late on a water change - so to just provide stability and pristine water.

Also, 25% seems like a lot to change at once. I would suggest 10% every 2 weeks or 20% every 3 weeks. In both cases the new water should be dripped back into the tank.

I also used some BorneoWild products for a period of time. I used a product called Stout to ensure proper molting and thickening of shells. Another one that comes to mind is BioFilm which should serve the same purpose as BacterAE by allowing the baby shrimp to eat - either the powder itself or the biofilm that these products encourage.

I also used some BorneoWild products for a period of time. I used a product called Stout to ensure proper molting and thickening of shells. Another one that comes to mind is BioFilm which should serve the same purpose as BacterAE by allowing the baby shrimp to eat - either the powder itself or the biofilm that these products encourage.
Awesome input, thank you. I'm curious about Stout. I got some new shrimp in and one of them has the white ring/space that seems to indicate a failed molt. 6-7 GH and 3KH so should be fine for neos. I hope she makes it!

35 minutes ago, shrimp1989 said:

Awesome input, thank you. I'm curious about Stout. I got some new shrimp in and one of them has the white ring/space that seems to indicate a failed molt. 6-7 GH and 3KH so should be fine for neos. I hope she makes it!

Oh! The white ring behind their head is okay! It doesn't always necessarily indicate a failed molt. More often than not it indicates that they are going to molt soon. Mine always refuse to molt with the lights on despite there being numerous hiding spaces. I always wake up to fresh molts and fully coloured shrimp in the mornings :P 

However, in my experience, if the white ring gets wider than 2-3mm it could indicate that they're having real trouble moulting. Also, your GH and KH seem okay for Neos!