Cherry Shrimp Lagoon: Exo-terra 18x18x24h (Forwarned: Pic heavy!)

edgeofthefreak

absolutely unbelievable I couldn't believe it. DEDICATION Anyways I hope you have luck with figuring out how to keep them thriving! 

Did a 20% water change last night, using distilled water. Then a water test of just gH/kH today. Getting 7-8 for gH and 4 for kH now.

Will do another 20% WC using de-chor'd tap water tomorrow. Going to test my gH/kH much more frequently.

Pellets from yesterday are gone, and will feed same amount tomorrow. Still yet to pull the surface algae.

That sounds good. You don't have to change it much from there.

10 hours ago, Mr. F said:

That sounds good. You don't have to change it much from there.

Thanks again Mr. F. I'd agree, but yet still never a berried shrimp. I started out with a dozen RCS, but they could hide too well in the moss. Added another dozen, and that seemed to be a good number. Looking in there today, I'd be surprised if I have 8 or 9 left, though no new deaths in the past two days.

I'm getting a proper holding tank for the LFS today, and transfer out the remaining. This tank might be able to keep shrimp alive, but they don't seem to be able to reproduce in it. My 10 gallon in the other room has easily 100 shrimp, most are babies produced in the last few weeks, as I only started with 30 in that tank too.

Bet if I had a TDS pen, I'd be getting some high results there too, not mention the amount of things we cannot test for.

I'll post from my 10 gallon soon - it's had a pretty awesome adventure itself!

On 6/19/2016 at 11:07 PM, ohmiko said:

absolutely unbelievable I couldn't believe it. DEDICATION Anyways I hope you have luck with figuring out how to keep them thriving! 

Missed this awesome comment yesterday, so thank you muchly! Was a labour of love, and the rebuild will correct dozens of mistakes. I'll try and compile a nice list of those mistakes, to ensure future builders don't fall into the same traps!

Thanks again Mr. F. I'd agree, but yet still never a berried shrimp. I started out with a dozen RCS, but they could hide too well in the moss. Added another dozen, and that seemed to be a good number. Looking in there today, I'd be surprised if I have 8 or 9 left, though no new deaths in the past two days.

I'm getting a proper holding tank for the LFS today, and transfer out the remaining. This tank might be able to keep shrimp alive, but they don't seem to be able to reproduce in it. My 10 gallon in the other room has easily 100 shrimp, most are babies produced in the last few weeks, as I only started with 30 in that tank too.

Bet if I had a TDS pen, I'd be getting some high results there too, not mention the amount of things we cannot test for.

I'll post from my 10 gallon soon - it's had a pretty awesome adventure itself!

Definitely invest in a TDS pen. Go to Amazon and find the highest rated, least expensive one and buy it. It (99%) has to be TDS at this point which is causing your issue. I'm guessing if you test it, it'll be somewhere around 400-500 ppm. I had a similar situation before I knew what was going on with TDS and got a pen.

One way to help immediately would be a water reset with RODI remin'd to proper KH and GH. Your TDS will be good- or close enough- until you get your pen.

1 hour ago, Mr. F said:

Definitely invest in a TDS pen. Go to Amazon and find the highest rated, least expensive one and buy it. It (99%) has to be TDS at this point which is causing your issue. I'm guessing if you test it, it'll be somewhere around 400-500 ppm. I had a similar situation before I knew what was going on with TDS and got a pen.

One way to help immediately would be a water reset with RODI remin'd to proper KH and GH. Your TDS will be good- or close enough- until you get your pen.

I'll need to do more research on remin. I essentially just float between dechol'd tap and distilled, and my water isn't very hard, from what I can tell. I live in the center of a city with 350K people in it, and we banned most pesticides many years ago.

I'll look into a TDS pen, and see about a proper remin.

Very appreciative of your continued assistance!

I'll need to do more research on remin. I essentially just float between dechol'd tap and distilled, and my water isn't very hard, from what I can tell. I live in the center of a city with 350K people in it, and we banned most pesticides many years ago.

I'll look into a TDS pen, and see about a proper remin.

Very appreciative of your continued assistance!

The easiest is salty shrimp GH/KH+. They're already proportioned to make ideal neo params. Lots of people use this and it's especially nice if you keep up with your water changes.

However, being a chemist, it's in my nature to want to be able to manipulate things separately. So I use SS GH+ (for GH) with Seachem Alkalinity Buffer (for KH). That way, if one of the two (GH or KH) is off, I can do a water change to mitigate the problem without effecting the other.

Just ordered an inexpensive, highly rated TDS pen, and will post results this coming week. I'll get check out my LFS for the chems you've mentioned, and I think I'm golden. Excellent expert advice, and I again thank you.

Not a death since my water change, better feeding. Still have some debris along the bottom, likely from old foods. Doing a better WC that will include light vacuuming before my TDS pen arrives.

Might be able to keep this tank around after all!

The orchids in the upper section thank you as well!

• 1 month later...

My TDS showed to be around 120. Didn't lose any new shrimp since last post, but since all parameters are looking okay, it must be leaching of some sort.

Great update to share however! My 8gal nano cycled nicely, and now houses the survivors of this Cherry Lagoon. I'm battling some algal blooms at the moment, but all have molted several times, and are eagerly eating up said algae!

This Lagoon has some solid building materials, but something is wrong with it. It's just a plant viv now, and my orchids are happy with that.

I'll post a write up on the Fluval EBI tank soon, including parameters, then post a link to it here. I need to do the same for my incredibly thriving 10gal blue shrimp tank... so many chores!

Thank you for your continued interest and advice! Been meaning to update for a few weeks now...