Testing Water In New Tank

Hi I was hoping someone could explain to me a bit about KH and PH, I know that the PH is the water softness but will my aquatic shop have the tests for both? From what I've read I understand that kH and ph are connected? If they are not right for the shrimps I want to keep am I able to change them? I already have tests for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite, I need to get a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. Is there anything else anyone thinks is good to have?

Sorry for all the questions but I am grateful for any advice!

Miki

A GH test would also be useful for a shrimp tank.

KH is the carbonate hardness, the higher it is the more resistant the water is to changes in pH and the higher the pH tends to be. 

It is easy to raise both KH and GH but the only real way to lower them is to use RO or distilled water.

I don't agree with the statement "pH is softness" since hard or soft water is determined by hardness, not pH. You can have either way, low/high hardness, regardless of what pH you have. The reverse is also true, pH can be either way irrespective of hardness.

kH controls the pH because the chemical reaction that carbonates regulate in water controls the amount of hydrogen ions produced. pH is affected by the quantity of free hydrogen ions present in the water. The more free hydrogen ions present in the water the lower pH gets turning water into an acid. The less free hydrogen ions the higher the pH turning water into a base.

The most common naturally occurring cause is CO2 that diffuses in water which from this process it will produce free hydrogen ions that carbonates (kH) regulate.

Now, kH is good for any aquatic creature as it will buffer large pH swings. However, most shrimps we like to keep, mostly Caridinas, prefer water with low kH as their natural environment is low in carbonates. I suspect due to a large quantity of tannins and organic substances that get dissolved in the water from decomposing vegetable debris and leaves which eat away carbonates.

kH can be reduced with peat, peat moss, blackwater extract, IAL, alder cones, and any leaf rich in tannins. But don't expect magic if you need to reduce more than 1-2 german degrees of carbonate hardness.