ibebian

Long term comparison of SL-Aqua vs. ADA Aquasoil?

Yay, I have permission from the missus to start a new tank! It's a 3g bookshelf from TruAqua. Shrimp-only, low tech, moderately planted. Curious to hear from those who have used AS and SL-Aqua long term (2+ years) and can share their experiences.

Thanks!

I would love to know the answer to this as well.

According to preliminary research, this it what bostoneric had to say about it. 

I'll try to answer all the questions short and sweet that i've been getting bombarded with both on here and FB. everybody seems to ask similar questions.

1. vs aqua soil.  Aqua Soil is a very different type of soil, designed and composed of very different stuff. so hard to compare the 2.  ADA soils are primarily designed for heavily scaped planted tanks. SL-Aqua soil is the soil used in all the tanks for the 2015 Taiwan Shrimp Competition, its the largest and most competitive competition in the world.

2. how long does it last?  just like every other buffering soil, including ada, it really depends on how you treat it. you use RO water and quality mineralizer like SL-Aqua Blue Wizard and you'll get longer life from your soil.  use crappy tap water and force the soil to work hard and it will degrade quickly, both in its buffering capacity and its physical shape just like all soils.

3. what ph level does it buffer to? We've have a few established healthy tanks setup 1 year now and all still buffer to  ~5.8-6.0ph

4. does it leach ammonia? all soils do in some capacity, even controsoil did. I didnt test any of the tanks we have during cycling. Im not one to constantly be checking during cycling. I have faith in the SL-Aqua soil and their cycling system. I know a few others who i leaked the soil to over the past year said they tested for ammonia and it was very minimal during cycling. I attribute that to the SL-Aqua cycle method products being used.  But to me I dont think either way matters because we all know we arent adding shrimp for at least a month. We give the tank has time to establish a healthy colony of bacteria/biofilm/etc.   No buffering soils are designed for instant setup.  

$40 shipped per bag. not going to beat that... check out Aqua soil at some of the other online shops. looking close to $60 shipped per bag.

SL is great. Been holding up for the past 6m or so and hasnt turned into mush. I'll be going the ADA route next time because  I've heard many good things about it and would like to try it out in atleast 1 tank. 

I would love to know the answer to this as well.

According to preliminary research, this it what bostoneric had to say about it. 
I'll try to answer all the questions short and sweet that i've been getting bombarded with both on here and FB. everybody seems to ask similar questions.

1. vs aqua soil.  Aqua Soil is a very different type of soil, designed and composed of very different stuff. so hard to compare the 2.  ADA soils are primarily designed for heavily scaped planted tanks. SL-Aqua soil is the soil used in all the tanks for the 2015 Taiwan Shrimp Competition, its the largest and most competitive competition in the world.

2. how long does it last?  just like every other buffering soil, including ada, it really depends on how you treat it. you use RO water and quality mineralizer like SL-Aqua Blue Wizard and you'll get longer life from your soil.  use crappy tap water and force the soil to work hard and it will degrade quickly, both in its buffering capacity and its physical shape just like all soils.

3. what ph level does it buffer to? We've have a few established healthy tanks setup 1 year now and all still buffer to  ~5.8-6.0ph

4. does it leach ammonia? all soils do in some capacity, even controsoil did. I didnt test any of the tanks we have during cycling. Im not one to constantly be checking during cycling. I have faith in the SL-Aqua soil and their cycling system. I know a few others who i leaked the soil to over the past year said they tested for ammonia and it was very minimal during cycling. I attribute that to the SL-Aqua cycle method products being used.  But to me I dont think either way matters because we all know we arent adding shrimp for at least a month. We give the tank has time to establish a healthy colony of bacteria/biofilm/etc.   No buffering soils are designed for instant setup.  

$40 shipped per bag. not going to beat that... check out Aqua soil at some of the other online shops. looking close to $60 shipped per bag.

Isn't this too lopsided opinion? Almost disguised marketing for aqua soil. Things like "I've faith in aqua soil" doesn't portray an objective assessment. I'll be wary of such analysis.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:42 AM, vasishta.sushant said:

Isn't this too lopsided opinion? Almost disguised marketing for aqua soil. Things like "I've faith in aqua soil" doesn't portray an objective assessment. I'll be wary of such analysis.

do you have a problem with my reply?