Male or female? OEBT are so hard to tell...

What do you think? I thought these were all female but my buddy disagrees.

I am pretty positive the first is female even though the picture isn't great.

Appreciate your help!492247dd6520127878fb88605b42ba02.jpge4ef73a13438861c6476813c8130c00f.jpge74b21a1c9af7a3190d6d1be7390a764.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They all look like females to me, except the darkest one in 3rd picture... hard to tell because it's facing towards camera. Look at the way that second scale is large and rounded at the bottom and it clearly overlaps scales 1 and 3. That's where eggs are stored. Males might have a slightly wider 2nd scale but it doesn't get fatter (and rounded) near bottom or ever overlap other scales.

They all look like females to me, except the darkest one in 3rd picture... hard to tell because it's facing towards camera. Look at the way that second scale is large and rounded at the bottom and it clearly overlaps scales 1 and 3. That's where eggs are stored. Males might have a slightly wider 2nd scale but it doesn't get fatter (and rounded) near bottom or ever overlap other scales.

I agree! But I saw in my buddies colony, where these came from, and I couldn't find any that didn't have at least a slightly larger second scale that was a little rounded. Maybe he's just running short on males. But wyazz I know you have OEBT so I'm trusting your opinion! I need a male now lol

1 hour ago, shrimp1989 said:

I agree! But I saw in my buddies colony, where these came from, and I couldn't find any that didn't have at least a slightly larger second scale that was a little rounded. Maybe he's just running short on males. But wyazz I know you have OEBT so I'm trusting your opinion! I need a male now lol

I get back from vacation late next week & can find you a male.  Let me know your thoughts.  I've got plants and snails, and various other shrimp that might make shipping worth it for a couple of male shrimp.  

Appreciate the offer wyazz.
My buddy insists that only one of these is female. The second and third pic being male because they don't have as much of a belly. His shrimp are breeding really well and I want to trust him but I'm getting a lot of contrary opinions.

14 hours ago, shrimp1989 said:

Appreciate the offer wyazz.
My buddy insists that only one of these is female. The second and third pic being male because they don't have as much of a belly. His shrimp are breeding really well and I want to trust him but I'm getting a lot of contrary opinions.

Give it some time then, see what shakes out!

It looks the first one is female for sure, and the other 2 photos look like males.

Except if are those youngs.

What the age of the shrimps?

Don't know exact age but they are adults and probably not getting any bigger. Last night 3 of them were zooming around the tank like crazy, and the one definite female was just grazing. By this behavior I'm guessing one female and three male. So long as she gets berried and has a big clutch I'll hopefully have some good looking babies soon!

17 minutes ago, shrimp1989 said:

Don't know exact age but they are adults and probably not getting any bigger. Last night 3 of them were zooming around the tank like crazy, and the one definite female was just grazing. By this behavior I'm guessing one female and three male. So long as she gets berried and has a big clutch I'll hopefully have some good looking babies soon!

So you have a male...

Look if your female have eggs...

Its takes some hours after the  breed to download the eggs.

Ok so the female is turning red! Should I be worried? The guy I got these from has some that turn redder as they get older. But I feel like this happened pretty quick....32d9616f2fa99cac0dbcb31c898ce718.jpg

• 2 months later...