First 40g Breeder

Setting up my first large shrimp tank and it's going to be a 40g breeder. Since I never setup such a large tank for this I'm not sure as to how much ADA soil I will need for this volume of water.

I have one 9L bag of Amazonia but I know I will need more just not sure how much more.

I used 3x 9L bags of amazonia for my 40B to make about 3"-3.5" thick substrate. So that as a reference.

From my very limited experience, I have found large tanks are a trade off.

Large tanks provide a much larger volume of water to have stability in parameters.  If anything goes wrong, you can fix it before ti cause a lot of harm.  Also, water changes can be much fewer.

However for me, it also meant much slower breeding.  I *think* that is because the shrimp have a problem finding who molted in such a vast area.

In fact, I just tore down a 20g neo tank to put them back in a 10g, because breeding slowed down to about a 1/4 of what it was for as few shrimp I had in there.

---

I wonder if you could have the best of all worlds?  Sure, you could use a sump, however by using a divider with water flow- you keep the param stability, while containing the area for better breeding?

I have been reading similar experience with other breeders about large tanks. 

My goal is to have 2 dividers to provide 3 sections for selective breeding. I have the option of using a 40 breeder or a 30 breeder. If I go with the smaller one the 3 sections would roughly be about LxWxH of 12x18x12. 

A tenner would be good, but I don't have any laying around lol. 

I have used plexiglass as dividers in the past. Use a 2" hole saw to open up flow and cover it up with ss mesh. I have wanted to try glass panels from Lowes but not sure if it's too thin. I do have a 3" hole saw for cutting glass that would work nicely. 

I have tried many times with larger tanks and dividers, unfortunately it never worked for me unless I completely seal off to create isolated sections (then it's just like multiple tanks). One issue is no matter how hard I tried, shrimps will find a way to get to the other section. So if selective breeding is your goal, you want to try better to avoid this from happening. Good luck and hope it works for you.