What kind of wood can be used?

Doc4PC2

I was wondering what kind of wood, branches, twigs, can be used

In shrimp tanks or fish tanks?

Can it be any kind as long as u boil them, and let them dry? Or

Does it have to be a certain kind, like wood found by the river or lake?

Same for branches and twigs?

Thanks for the help and any answers.

I am just wondering if I went to the river and was able to use the driftwood, branches and twigs

that are by the river bed. If I boil them first, and let them dry, if they would be okay?

I live in the mountains in Montana, so I have access to tons of rivers, creeks, lakes, etc.

I would stick to hardwoods and avoid softwood and conifers. I would brush up on your dendrology as it can be hard to positively I'd a piece of wood without its bark or leaves. I have had people tell me they they have used oak successfully.

When I go down to the river bed, there is a ton of branches, drift wood, twigs, that are all dried and by the river bed on the river rocks when

the river is down. But I have no idea if they would be okay, if I boiled them good, let them dry again, boiled them again and then put them

in the tank. The things you have to know to keep shrimp.....

One boil shold be good and then I would put them into an empty container for about a month to verify nothing leaches out. Also is the wood is punky (soft and sponge) don't use it it's beginning to rot. If you question the I internal integrity of the wood drill a hole someplace you can't see, using an auger bit and examine the cuttings a standard drill bit will do to much damage.

Yeah, Thanks, good tip for sure. I see that in the Malaysia Drift wood that is sold.