Asian Arowana's

High5's

I have been obsessed with Asian Arowana's from the first time I saw one in a fish book when I was a kid, so much so I kept a 9 inch silver Arowana till it grew to over 3 1/2ft from age 16 till 23 year's old. I always wanted a pair of Cross back Arowana's but everything I have read say's there illegal in the US. I have also read that you can import them as long as they are micro chipped born on a captive Arowana farm with a birth certificate and that it's a pita to get al the paper work right. I must have a pair of these fish one day, even if I have to move to Malaysia.

post-193-0-96475900-1407194689.jpg

Very interesting fish but lots room and unless the right type tank they don't fair well and develop droopy eye .

I have only seen the common silver but that Cross back in that pic is stunning .  I just looked them up as never heard of them the red color morphs are striking .

Long wide tanks they need room to turn around strong tops a must they jump. The Asian Arowana's don't get as big as silvers do. Asian Arowana's can get close 3 ft average size is 18 to 23 inches.

They  range in price any where from 800$ to 10's of thousands depending on species and grade, coloration , color saturation, fin shape and scale pattern.

I'd love one... but the room they take up is tough.

Honestly, if they only stay at the surface, it makes me wonder what type of smaller fish you could keep with them, maybe a ton of jungle val and a sand bottom... sounds like I have a future project

I'd love one... but the room they take up is tough.

Honestly, if they only stay at the surface, it makes me wonder what type of smaller fish you could keep with them, maybe a ton of jungle val and a sand bottom... sounds like I have a future project

I say a 240gallon bare bottom for a pair there mouth breeders female lay's egg's the male fertilise then pick them up in his mouth. They can live anywhere from 20 to 50 years.

post-193-0-52505200-1407263975_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There is no way to import this species into the US.  

When aquariums have it, they're on loan.  

Your best bet would be to get a Jardini if you kinda want a similar look to an asian arowana.  I bought mine when it was an inch long and I raised it all the way till it was 2 ft long (it was my baby).

I get the infatuation, it's so annoying to cross the border to Canada to see them being sold in the aquariums.  It's like !!!!

The most exciting part was breeding silver arowanas.  Like I wish I was back home but sadly im in college now, but that process was the coolest thing ever.  The father silver holds the babies in his mouth for a month and a half lol....

They are awesome! Expensive, but awesome. I would not be happy to

buy something like that, and then if it died, wow, what a loss. You would have

to be prepared and know your stuff. I found out a Shadow Panda costs about

60 bucks or more for one, and if it died, u take a big loss, so I would rather

wait until I am a seasoned pro before investing in the shrimp that I want.

They are awesome! Expensive, but awesome. I would not be happy to

buy something like that, and then if it died, wow, what a loss. You would have

to be prepared and know your stuff. I found out a Shadow Panda costs about

60 bucks or more for one, and if it died, u take a big loss, so I would rather

wait until I am a seasoned pro before investing in the shrimp that I want.

These monster fish are a lot more durable than shrimp.

I think out of the 12 or so silver/african/jardini arowanas I've had............the shortest lived one was 6 years?