Looking for shrimp

dr.piko

Hey guys? I'm new to this forum. And also new to shrimp hobby. It was really interesting to read all these threads about taking care of your lovely shrimps and breeding them. I just got rid of my cichlids and started tetra tank with a lot of Java fern. I'm trying to add some shrimps, but honestly I couldn't find good deal since I have to have more than 10 shrimp, So I have to pay at least 20$ . I guess my wife will kill me soon :) . I have seen a lot if you guys breed shrimp. Is anybody here can offer me a good deal? And a question, should I add salt to my tank for a healthy shrimp? I think that will hurt my tetra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. :)

The shrimp are freshwater, and we don't add salt for them. 

Neocaridina davidi, which has the slang name of cherry shrimp, is often recommended for the person who has not shrimped before since they are hardy (in general) and can take a lot more "Oooops" than other shrimp.  The neat thing is they come in lots of different colors, too.

Since shrimp are a little more fussy about water params than fish are, some liquid tests you will need in the future are:

KH

GH

TDS

Nitrates

Nitrites

Ammonia

Ph

Most people keep their params in this range for cherry shrimp:

PH: 7+

KH: 0 – 10

GH: 6+

TDS: 100+

Water temp: 70-75F

Malawa are also a good choice- and cheap. 

Have you tested your water yet to find out your current params?  That will tell you a lot.