Shrimp tubes?

Elo500

Han's would probably be best. I actually use clear ones. But they love them anyway. They like to travel inside them,

and hang out inside them even though they are clear. Anything that builds biofilm is a good thing, I would think. But

Han's has some great one, and he even has some that he puts the moss on them too, that I am sure the shrimp will love.

Do shrimp tubes make a difference for breeding or are they more decorative? Where do you buy the porcelain 6 stacked tubes I see in many shrimp pics?

They do provide a safe place to molt, hide and give birth, they also have surface area to grow bio film and beneficial bacteria. Are the necessary? No. Beneficial yes. Is this what your talking about?

post-193-0-20867000-1408825750.jpg

Agree with others. Except I made my own version out of polymer clay, and they're working fine. Babies like to hang out on/in them the most; adults don't seem to care too much.

Agree with others. Except I made my own version out of polymer clay, and they're working fine. Babies like to hang out on/in them the most; adults don't seem to care too much.

I heard that polymer clay is not safe.

do you treat it before put in tank?

I heard that polymer clay is not safe.

do you treat it before put in tank?

So, there is always debate on polymer clay. :) From personal experience, at least one of my polymer clay decorations has been in my tank since before the shrimp got there (bored during cycling), two others were added along the way, and I haven't had any real problems to date with any aspects of my tank.

My understanding is that, once the piece is properly baked, it's an inert plastic like PVC. The warning on the labels about it not being food-safe is due to the fact it's somewhat porous, so if you have bacteria from food in it, you will never be able to clean it as well as a standard piece of ceramic, glass etc. dishware. This is not a problem for me, as my shrimp like a good biofilm of tasty microbes. 

The shrimp and Otos both clean all the pieces in there and I haven't noted degrading or any harm to them. My journal has some pix of the pieces, but I haven't updated it for a while. :rolleyes: Everything's pretty much in the same place, except the trellis is completely obscured by moss and Cthulu has some stubborn algae in his crevices.