Recommend me a staple food

Decided to go.......

MK cheeseburger- cause it's cheeseburger lol....pretty sure these guys named it this way to appeal to the NA crowd LMAO.

Glasgarten Shrimp Dinner Grans

Can't wait to test these out.

Now my next 2 bags of kens............is now my corydoras new diet xD

Really glad you found a suitable staple for yourself. Again, it's more important to find a food you like, affordable, and something your shrimp will eat. Everyone has different experiences and opinion. [emoji1]

Picture of what I feed.

ademe2eb.jpg

I like to keep small portions in cute glass jars for easy access. Rest is stored away inside original packaging inside fridge.

Really glad you found a suitable staple for yourself. Again, it's more important to find a food you like, affordable, and something your shrimp will eat. Everyone has different experiences and opinion. [emoji1]

Picture of what I feed. ademe2eb.jpg

I like to keep small portions in cute glass jars for easy access. Rest is stored away inside original packaging inside fridge.

I like that. Good idea, organized, rest in the fridge, good variety.

Picture of what I feed.

ademe2eb.jpg

yeah i'm digging the glass jars.  gonna have to keep an eye out for those at walmart

Sorry, countryboy, I meant the packet's pink! lol

It's new to me and I didn't know if there were different ones in the series.

I keep my shrimp offerings in little plastic tubs, but your little glass jars look very neat, Ch3f!!

I'm trying them with wilted spinach this morning, but no takers yet.

Here's a pic of them grazing on their favourite!

10404146_348839715272538_824059790460210

I can always ship you some of the larger bags of snowflake to the UK :).  I am getting a TON of thin white worms in a bunch of my tanks from having to much snowflake in the tank I think.  When I add snowflake they come out of the substrate and swarm it. 

i have some trouble with these thread worms too. even after water change and controlled feeding now (putting on dish and removing within same day if its not finished), the existing worms are still there. anyone here has a good way to rid of them for good without causing any harm to our precious shrimps ? :)

My understanding is that the snowflake explodes into lots of pieces and promotes/supports the growth of a fungus which the shrimp then eat (mycella?) Apparently as said before a little bit goes a long way.

Can't get hold of it in the UK but am told it's similar to Mosura Graze.

I will ship it to you! I just sent a large order to Norway and other areas. As long as shipping is covered I have no problems sending it there. It is a great food and I use it in all my tanks, it is also best to use a variety of foods and supplements.

Hey saw the vid. Great review [emoji106][emoji106]

Out of curiosity, how come the CSF nettle leaf+ look very similar to a much cheaper bird food available here stateside?

Link: http://www.totallyorganics.com/products.php?cat=5

The product seems to be a bird food. The CSF nettle+ seems like a repurpose bird food, no? The description on the site even mentions "red chili pepper" as a selling point for the bird food. It's going for 15ish for 10lb bags which is roughly .007$/gram.

With 10lbs you'll have nearly a lifetime worth of foods, and almost no cost. I'm at work now but I'm sure I can find more CSF shrimp specialty foods buy googling ingredients they all seem to be pellets foods. (Pellet foods tends to be farm feeds for horse, bunnies, birds, etc).

Sharing knowledge so we can all explore different foods available (if we're going to repurpose rodent feeds for our expensive shrimp).

Chef, the shape size may be similar but not the ingredients from what you linked? Nettle + has Pepper now I am not sure if its black pepper, red pepper, chili pepper, etc but I can be sure that Peter Laden included the ingredients best fit for shrimp, not other animals in mind. Check out his website or theshrimptank.com as he lists out the reasoning behind the ingredients he chose.

Oh I see. It looked similar because pellets are generally never customized. Additionally, the ingredients listed were nettle + pepper which is the last two listed ingredients for the bird food pellets.

ugy7ysa8.jpg

But it does seem like the bird food pellet might be a good affordable alternative. Maybe I'll buy a 1lb bag and compare with CSF's Nettle+ to see if it's visually different.

Regardless, there's a wide assortment of shrimp foods available.

Let me know how it goes, I would be curious/worried how the other 20 ingredients would benefit or detriment your shrimp.

Let me know how it goes, I would be curious/worried how the other 20 ingredients would benefit or detriment your shrimp.

Will do. Be curious but don't be worried. I'm sure these ingredients are safe. I mean to paraphrase what you said. Yourself mentioned that you've never seen anyone using peppers as an ingredient for shrimp food. If peppers are safe in sure the other ingredients are shrimp safe.

But I digress. No one will truly know what goes into making certain foods unless they're preparing and making the food themselves. Snowflake itself is nothing more than repurpose horse/cow feed. It's been repurpose as a shrimp food by big brands such as Mosura. It's a natural progression to transition into other pelleted foods for shrimps. 3 years ago you'd never see anyone feeding snowflake or barley (all of which weren't designed for shrimps) but now they're bigger than ever!

Bahahah! But to each it's own. I feed my shrimps a bunch of crazy things and they're all alive and thriving. Do whatever works I suppose.

Decided to go.......

MK cheeseburger- cause it's cheeseburger lol....pretty sure these guys named it this way to appeal to the NA crowd LMAO.

Glasgarten Shrimp Dinner Grans

Can't wait to test these out.

Now my next 2 bags of kens............is now my corydoras new diet xD

Just cirious, where can you buy Cheeseburger and shrimp dinner?

Hands down best staple food to me is blanched veggies. $3 of kale/spinach/zuchinni frozen will last a year. I put some spinach in my tb tank last night and every new tb i got recently was out eating. Most of the time it is gone with in a hour but in the past I have just left extra in tank and it never fouled the water. I think my shrimp would be fine with nothing more than blanched veggies and bloodworms, a whopping $6 or so for a year supply.

If you are talking strictly about commercial, i know you said no shirakura but my royals,oebt,tb,crystals, neos have always loved shirakura special. I havent really tried a food any of them ignored but the special gets a immediate frenzy.