Ich / white spots

dr.piko

Guys, I'm in a big trouble, I just noticed now that there are at least 3 fishes infected with ich. I have a lot of plants and a lot of shrimps. Most medications contain cupper which harmful to plants, filter and shrimps, plz help. I don't even have hospital tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Kordon Ich Attack with inverts and had sucess with it. You could try inching up the temp in your tank but keep an eye on everyone to make sure they are acting right. I believe I read that heat speeds up the life cycle of ich, like close to 82 degrees. Make sure you do frequent gravel vacs with your water changes as well. Good luck and keep us posted!

Everything I've read indicates that you should continue treatment for 5-7 days AFTER you don't see the white spots anymore. The parasite can live in your substrate and water column even if it's not attached to the fish. I found Ich Attack at Petco.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ok but it is really hard to get them out. Honestly, I have to risk. I tried to get them out but they are hiding in the plants. I added some salt and raised temp to 82 and added some drops of formalin. But I keep formalin active for 3 hr and then add aqua safe conditioner to remove it

Any updates?  I haven't had fish in my shrimp tanks so I have never had to deal with the complications that shrimp add when using medications.

Try Paraguard. Used this in combo with heat to try all the fish and even had a berried mom. Made sure to introduce slowly over 48 hrs to full dose. Didn't discolor the plants, shrimp. worked very well. I suggest dosing at night, and leaving the co2 off.

I added one of these meds, blue color. The shrimp doing well but I lost 2 platies, and I guess the black neon tetra will pass out too. I do feel bad, it is a disaster. I keep adding this med and salt but no progress at all. And I noticed something new , I'm not sure if it is bad or good, please see the pic

1) The majority of ick medications contain malachite green and formalin, and are copper-free.

2) You cannot remove ick medication with AquaSafe.  Even if you could remove the medication, you shouldn't, the medication requires prolonged and continuous exposure to work properly.  It's questionable what else the AquaSafe might be doing.  It "neutralizes" heavy metals, but the medication contains no copper or other heavy metals.  The ingredient used to provide this neutralization is - guess what - formalin!  So you're actually adding a wee bit more of that.  Oh, and it provides a "protective slime coat" too.  I always wondered if that really works, but if so, the ick is probably enjoying being protected against the medication. ;)

3) Typically ick is treated with medication or salt.  Not both at the same time, unless you have a highly resistant strain, and then the two are used at full dosage.  I suspect you're attempting to make it safer by using both at a reduced dosage - which means neither is working adequately.  Fully commit to one or the other.  I've used both in fish tanks, both worked with no issues, but never had to deal with ick in a shrimp tank so can't advise which is safer there.

4) Can't see the black hair.  What's it on?  Plant, driftwood, fish?  May just be a bit of algae, if so it's an unrelated issue.

Thanks guys for ur help. Actually, yesterday was the last day for ich in my tank. All fish are good now , I'm not sure how many shrimp I lost. And the black hairs were on the drift wood, I guess it was scary looking algae :) which was eaten by pleco.

Here is what I did

1- close the bio wheel and the canister filters

2- add 12 drops of formalin to 55 gal

3- add 1 tsp for each 5 gal

4- temp was 78

5- water change with salt and formalin every 3 days

Result in 1.5 week