Can I "recharge" my substrate?

Duque

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently keeping my OEBT's in my son's aquarium, which was initially set up for fish, 3 years ago.  Unlike my other shrimp tanks, this one has a plain, "box-store", gravel substrate.  

I keep reading about how certain substrates are "only good for a year or two".  From what I understand, some biological components get exhausted.  Correct?   Would this be true of a gravel type of substrate?

If so, can substrates be "recharged" by injecting bacterial seed stock?

If not:

- Can I replace small sections (2"x2") of the substrate with Fluval, every few weeks?  

- Would I have to cycle the Fluval in another tank, first?  

- Or am I going to be forced to set up a completely new tank, cycle it for a few weeks, and then move everything over?

Thanks in advance for any help.

if its inert gravel and you are having success with the shrimp then leave it alone.

box-store gravel doesnt buffer the water so nothing to "recharge". If it was buffering substrate best to start up another tank. I dont believe in "recharging" buffering substrate. asking for problems.

Thanks Eric.

That makes sense if we're talking about soil nutrients.  I just didn't know if there was a bacterial component to it.   I've spent the past 3 years learning about water, light, food, fish and shrimp requirements, growth stages, and breeding, ...that I have had time or reason to seriously consider the longevity of substrates.

Now that it's time to start thinking about my other tanks, would you suggest setting up a completely new tank, or simply cycling the new substrate and then switching it out with the existing tank?   I'd prefer not to move too many aquariums and have limited space, as well.

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently keeping my OEBT's in my son's aquarium, which was initially set up for fish, 3 years ago.  Unlike my other shrimp tanks, this one has a plain, "box-store", gravel substrate.  

I keep reading about how certain substrates are "only good for a year or two".  From what I understand, some biological components get exhausted.  Correct?   Would this be true of a gravel type of substrate?

If so, can substrates be "recharged" by injecting bacterial seed stock?

If not:

- Can I replace small sections (2"x2") of the substrate with Fluval, every few weeks?  

- Would I have to cycle the Fluval in another tank, first?  

- Or am I going to be forced to set up a completely new tank, cycle it for a few weeks, and then move everything over?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have been using the inert substrate for 3 years, it should have accumulate enough waste material to generate it's own humus substances. These humus substances will leech humic/fulvic acid and will lower your water pH and KH.

Thanks Hyoushoku.

My pH and KH levels are in the range that I want.  I always felt it was due to working with the water, keeping plants & driftwood, and doing occasional gravel vacs.    Now that you mention the Humic/Fulvic acids it makes even more sense.  Is there a danger of an ammonia buildup? 

Since I don't want to suck up some freshly hatched shrimp, gravel vacuuming is only occasionally done.   I've tried to compensate with plants and lots of mini trumpet snails and 2 larger ones.

So I guess I'm asking for everyone's bottom line advice.   Should I:

1.)  Leave the substrate alone, if everything else is within acceptable parameters?

2.)  "Replace" the substrate (in tank, section by section) -

a.)  with another inorganic "box store" gravel

b.)  a natural ph neutral substrate

c.)  something along the lines of an ADA or Fluval and give it a few weeks to cycle first

3.)  Simply start up a new tank with a Fluval type of substrate and transfer everything after cycling?

4.)  Stop bothering you poor people and go find another website to burden with these question?

"Is there a danger of an ammonia buildup? " <--- If the substrate is healthy with bacteria and critters, there should be no ammonia. However, if you see your substrate is clogged up with waster material, it means oxygen may not circulate inside. Therefore, there will be risk of having sulfur-fixing bacteria that produce toxic Hydrogen Sulphide. As such, whenever the waste material built up, siphon it. Don't do it too frequently as it will upset the eco-system inside.

If your shrimps are happily breeding, don't change anything. There is no best substrate in the world, it is all about what substrate they are used to. In your case, is those box-substrate. ;)