New Fluval Stratum Substrate

ANBU

supposed to be more like amazonia. it releases ammonia for a time so it cycles the tank for you. basically they are trying to make an alternative amazonia. I hope they can keep it from turning to mush and loosing its buffering ability so quickly. Someone has to be the tester, but it won't be me. LOL. I'll stick to what I know works.

I'm using it in my tanks, but can't personally compare it to the old one because I'm new to keeping shrimp....

Anyway, after searching a bit I did find a comment from Fluval was that the only real difference between the old plant stratum & shrimp stratum was size of the pieces. The new combined one uses both.

As for my experience, it does buffer the pH. I did a one month fishless cycle before adding shrimp. No problems at all with water chemistry.

I will say that I have quite a few unwanted pests in there. As far as I can tell between the two tanks I've had hydra, detritus worms, nematode worms & other small critters I don't have good enough magnification to identify 100%.

I will say that I have quite a few unwanted pests in there. As far as I can tell between the two tanks I've had hydra, detritus worms, nematode worms & other small critters I don't have good enough magnification to identify 100%.

I believe those pests are a result from over feeding.

Looks like it has been out for a while.

Didn't realised that changed the formula. Just thought it was a packaging change. Good to know. Guess I will have a reason to try it out.

New one say it is collected from Mount Aso Volcano in Japan and has added micro nutrient. Still not sure if it a different product or just a packing change from the old Plant Stratum but I guess only one way to find out.

It has been reformulated and so far it's good stuff, now let's see how long the buffering last. I would recommend it forget what you heard in the past about it, mines been running 4 months no problems.

It has been reformulated and so far it's good stuff, now let's see how long the buffering last. I would recommend it forget what you heard in the past about it, mines been running 4 months no problems.

Are you using it with RO or tap water? What's your PH like before and after?

I use r/o d/I water my ph going in is 6.2 to 6.4 and get's dragged down to 6.0 I was going to run it for 12 months and give my opinion/reveiw. I have had zero issues with it I have Paracaridina sp blue bee breeding on it, as of now I would use it again even for tibees and rcs/cbs

No problem. I will take it a step further and say all the bad stories about the old fluval shrimp stratum where probably due to user error/lack of experience. People throwing shrimp in tank's that weren't cycled with no bio film build up  and shrimp died and they wanted to blame the substrate. I haven't heard of many experienced shrimp keepers bashing the old substrate.  

I believe those pests are a result from over feeding.

One of the tanks was cycling for 1 month without any food of any sort being placed in the tanks. I'm sure there was biofilm in ere for them to eat, but that was it.... That's wen I started to question this notion of over feeding being the primary cause of ALL pest outbreaks ;)

That's reasonable. the price on Amazon is much higher. :(

Not in Canada. The price for Amazonia normal type here is $40 cdn for a 9L bag (~17lb)

Funny thing though, I asked one of the Hagen reps about it and she said it I'd the same stuff as the old plant stratum, just new packaging. Guess I will have to just try it out and see.