Best Way to Cycle New Tank

Hi all - going to set up a new 10 gallon tank with:

RO treated with Blue Diamond (thank you, Han)

Black sand for substrate

50 w heater

Mattenfilter with air pump

Current USA lighting (got on great sale)

Han was out of stock of the MK- Breed Z Silver.

I will be squeezing small media sponge from 9 gal eheim tank - but I was hoping to not have to add danios for cycling purposes.

Is there another product you think I should add to help with cycling?

Thank you

I'm currently doing a experiment. I added snowball shrimp to new tank that's not cycled. Dosed Stability once only and so far ammonia, nitrite are under control at 0. Been about a week already. I guess this is because shrimps have very low bio load. No shrimps dead and look happy. 

Wow - that is a gutsy and good outcome!  I'm afraid to add anything yet.  I've already "accidentally" killed a couple of batches in 1 year.

I was going to squeeze  the small sponge from my eheim 9 gallon into the water.  But I don't know if that will be enough of a seed?

My apologies, should have elaborated a little more but that is one way. What I meant is by either using the full filter in the already established tank (if there's room). Or maybe, if the current filter uses 2 sponges, replace one of them with the sponge that will be in the new tank.

My apologies, should have elaborated a little more but that is one way. What I meant is by either using the full filter in the already established tank (if there's room). Or maybe, if the current filter uses 2 sponges, replace one of them with the sponge that will be in the new tank.

I've switched out sponges, too.  Works great. :)

• 10 months later...