How to cover rocks with algae?

eozen81

Hey guys,

As a Cardinal Shrimp breeder I really admire what this guy in below video did about covering algae on the rocks. How can we do that? It's very obvious that cardinals love it.

Is it lighting or light color or rock type, what is the secret? I have got also some rocks but never covered algae like this?

That's amazing! I thought too much algae was something you didn't want in your tanks?

That's amazing! I thought too much algae was something you didn't want in your tanks?

For cardinal shrimp, the opposite. They really love algae. You can see also my below video that my cardinal eats algae over a chocolate poso:

There are two types of algae on those rocks:

• Rhizoclonium (the furry looking one)
  • Green Spot Algae (the dark green flat on the rock)

Rhizoclonium will thrive at extreme high light intensity with low water flow, which is why they tend to grow in places that has unobstructed area especially the top of the tank. GSA will thrive with high light and high NO3/organic waste.

If you are planning on growing green algae, you will need to make sure your water has the right condition for their growth before you ramp up the lighting intensity. Or else, you will get other type of algae. To prevent cynobacteria (blue green algae, which is toxic) from growing, your NO3 has to be more than 5 times more than of PO4. To prevent diatom from growing, you need to make sure you don't have silicate that is more than 20ppm. If your tank is full of silicate, you will see diatom bloom first and after they consumed the silicate, the green algae will take over the surface that they once grew on. On top of these, you need to ensure there are supply of K and PO4 (just don't let them drop to zero).

One more thing to note. Since Sulawesi RO salts contain carbonate, when you first mixed the water, there will be a lot of CO2. If you have high light intensity, you need to air off the CO2 thoroughly or else, Black Beard Algae (BBA) and Staghorn will grow.