Alternative to salty gh kh ?

Wanting to try a different remineralizer for my neo tanks. Is there another one that does ghkh or should I try just a gh one and adjust ph with baking soda?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't think of any others that raise the KH as well.

I agree with Will, there is no other company that I can think of that produce a remineralizer that would increase both GH and KH. Mind me asking why you want to increase KH?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought with an inert substrate kh is needed to prevent ph swings?

KH is needed to prevent pH drop and not pH swing. Usually, people choose inert substrate to have close to neutral to mild alkaline pH, such as 6.8 to 7.6.

Carbonates do not mix well with Ca and Mg salts within a single solution. As such, only powder form salts, like Salty Shrimps one, are able to to have the mixture. However, I find powder form is hard to use and it does not really mix as even as solution form. Also, KH has to be dosed separately during tank start-up to get the proper KH/pH value.

If you wanted to try other salts, you can just other type of salts and dose KH or pH up solution from other brand separately. Just note that the pH will swing up to 9 when you first mix them. As such, you need to pre-mix them separately and circulate them for more than 24 hours.

I found a thread on another site about using equilibrium for gh and seachem reefbuilder to add kh without increasing ph. Even if I used a liquid gh like blue wizard what do you recommend for kh to keep stable 7.0 ph?

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/7343-my-alternate-approach-to-tank-setup-for-my-shrimp/

Glad to hear salty ghkh can cause a ph spike at first. I couldn't figure out why that happened although the ph measures high 24hrs afterward.

I tried Equilibrium on Neos before and it works. However, if yours is not planted tank, there will be too much potassium. Therefore, usually I will recommend mixing Replenish with Equilibrium. If you are using Replenish+Equilibrium combo, the best KH up salts will be Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) or any solution that made of Sodium Bicarbonate. Avoid those that has carbonates blend that may add more potassium.

Taiwanese are well known for putting funny thing into their products, thus I will not be able to suggest what to add to Blue Wizard in order to increase the KH. Or else, the chemical interaction may creates substances that kills shrimp. If you wanted to created your own alkaline mix, I will suggest you get those products that either list out the ingredients or, you will need to know the exact formula they use from different channel.