RO water Reminalizers

Tigori

I will be using RO water soon for the first time and kh is really confusing, I understand that i need to have my gh on 6 or a tds of 200 in general but what about kh? I dont want to use the gh/kh+ by SS as i read at another thread that it affects the ph quite significantly so im planning to use either mosura mineral plus or gh+ of SS which affects the kh just a little bit (ratio: gh/kh = 1.0/0.06). Which one do you guys recommend on using? Cost wise, they cost about even here so you can cross out as the cost being a pro or con

I will be using RO water soon for the first time and kh is really confusing, I understand that i need to have my gh on 6 or a tds of 200 in general but what about kh? I dont want to use the gh/kh+ by SS as i read at another thread that it affects the ph quite significantly so im planning to use either mosura mineral plus or gh+ of SS which affects the kh just a little bit (ratio: gh/kh = 1.0/0.06). Which one do you guys recommend on using? Cost wise, they cost about even here so you can cross out as the cost being a pro or con

Depends on what you plan on breeding. If your plan on breeding CRS then you can do without kH in your water. As such, SS gH+ is sufficient as it will only increase gH without changing pH or kH (you'll need to age the water by adding an airstone or water pump for 12+hrs prior to WC).

Anything increasing kH will increase ph, usually in the same direction.

SS and MMP is a comparison between salts vs liquid mineralizers. Salts will always be king in the value department, but sometimes it's more than big savings (I use SS because I have a lot of tanks so don't take my statement as trashing SS).

Depends on what you plan on breeding. If your plan on breeding CRS then you can do without kH in your water. As such, SS gH+ is sufficient as it will only increase gH without changing pH or kH (you'll need to age the water by adding an airstone or water pump for 12+hrs prior to WC).

Anything increasing kH will increase ph, usually in the same direction.

SS and MMP is a comparison between salts vs liquid mineralizers. Salts will always be king in the value department, but sometimes it's more than big savings (I use SS because I have a lot of tanks so don't take my statement as trashing SS).

I currently have carbon rilis, red sakuras, PBL, normal crystal black, red tigers, and some bb,crs and snow white and will probably have more kinds next year because there is this silly event called christmas which makes me to mandatorily give gifts to others when i can just use the same money with shrimping right :P jk...

But I first have to get use to RO, does it also applies to liquids that you must let it age for at least 12+ hours before you should use it to change water? Because I only have 2 2.5 gallon buckets (1 for dirty water and 1 for the fresh water) and I have 4 13.5g tank which i change 2.5g worth of water every week

I would recommend using only the GH+, unless there is a specific reason you need an increase in KH. It will be your ultimate decision as to use dry or liquid remineralizer. As already noted dry is more cost effective, and liquid is more convenient. Depends what you want to spend, I would recommend Salty Shrimp obviously for "dry", and MK Blue Diamond for "liquid".

I would recommend using only the GH+, unless there is a specific reason you need an increase in KH. It will be your ultimate decision as to use dry or liquid remineralizer. As already noted dry is more cost effective, and liquid is more convenient. Depends what you want to spend, I would recommend Salty Shrimp obviously for "dry", and MK Blue Diamond for "liquid".

Do you also have to age the water with the liquid reminalizer before you use the water for w/c? I think i will have to pass for the mk blue diamond because it costs 19euros here for 250ml while MPP only costs less than 8euros for 180ml

Do you also have to age the water with the liquid reminalizer before you use the water for w/c? I think i will have to pass for the mk blue diamond because it costs 19euros here for 250ml while MPP only costs less than 8euros for 180ml

I usually don't "age" the water when using liquid remineralizers. I usually make the RODI water, add the remineralizer, stir, wait about 30 minutes, stir again, then use. This is my personal experience.

Soothing, if you use just use gh for neos what do you do for kh and ph?

Simple.  I don't.  For several years I kept Neos with just SS gh+, then this year I decided to use gh/kh.  I see little difference except for a possible slow down on berries.

I think for neos, kh has been stressed way to much.  RO has a natural ph of around 7, aerating my tanks raises that slightly and keeps it pretty stable. *shrugs*  Just my opinion though.

I *have* been using baking soda in my crs tank though to raise ph some without affecting kh.

If you really wanted to raise kh without affecting anything else, you could just use epsom salts. 

Do you guys also use some sort of dechlorinator with ro water?

Since there is no chlorine in RO, there shouldn't be a need. The purer the better, don't add unnecessary chemical or we'd just be using tap water instead.

Oh okay. Because I have been using SS easy filter powder up to now and I am really noob with ro

No problem. For RO, just add good remineralizer and you're good to go. If you want to go fancy, here is what I do ;-)

- RO in a storage tank

- AC70 with no filter media but a big ball of peat moss wrapped in panty hose.

- Run the filter for 24 hours before using it.

I have been doing this and my 3.5 years old Netlea tank still has PH under 6.0. The fulvic acid and humic acid are added bonus.