Changing substrate on an existing tank

Depends on how well you want to get the job done. I know you can siphon sand out but you won't get 100% of the sand out and I'm pretty sure you'll suck up all your shrimps. Starting fresh would be the easiest if you have the extra tank and space.

So i'll buy a new tank. Put substrate in. Filter for 2-3 days. Siphon water level to 20%. Transfer shrimp. Transfer water from old tank to new tank. 

Have to siphon water level to 20% because my stand can only hold so much before it breaks. 

Sounds like a plan or am I missing anything?

Ive done the eco complete thing... I wasnt impressed.. Over priced gravel is all it is.. Just my opinion

I'm not overly impressed but my plants seem to like it. Once planted, it attaches itself to the gravel so quickly and the growth rate is much faster vs sand

Poopians, honestly I have to agree with the majority of people responding. If you want to replace substrate you really need to start from scratch. This will also allow you to add the beneficial additives under your new substrate.

Yep start fresh and dont add seeded filter to fresh filled water if using tap otherwise the chlorine/chloromines will wipe out your existing bacteria

In my opinion this subject is the most challenging part of keeping active soil tank for a home aquarist who has limited space for extra tanks. 

Maybe you can consider to lend the shrimps to a friend or a shop guy with a shrimp dealer (you can say: you will get half of the shrimps that you give back 2 months later :D  Maybe it's risky but can be considered as a last option)