Picky Taiwan Bees

slycat929

I recently decided to take the plunge into taiwan bees and I think I am addicted now. That being said, my new pandas are making me crazy with their food pickiness. I have tried blanched veggies and a large variety of foods. The Pandas are grazing all over the tank, but the mischlings attack any food I put in. I'll get a mischling ball and the pandas are just minding their own business. I have yet to see the pandas pick at anything in 3 weeks other than some shrimp king Hokkaido loops and they barely touched it. This is not a very aged tank (approx 2 weeks when I put them in), although I do supplement once a week with a tiny amount of Bacter AE. I got nervous because I noticed a molting problem with my two smallest (0.5cm) shadow pandas this week. They were able to complete their molts over 3 days and are both alive, but the tank parameters are stable and I feel they need more calcium supplemented. All other shrimp are molting fine and growing. Would it be best to grind up some food to disperse it throughout the tank? Or will it end up just fouling my water since they don't touch it to begin with? I don't think I have ever been this nervous about my shrimp.

what are you parameters that you think its a calcium issue in regards to their 3day molt?

Also since you are using bacter ae they are getting plenty of food grazing on biofilm. best to put some leaf litter in there and maybe feed a hard food once a week and dont leave it in your tank for more than a few hours.  

Honestly. Taiwan Bees are picky, and in my experience when you first introduce them to your tank they won't eat manufactured/processed foods for weeks. Almost like they want to feel nice and cozy at home first. Then after 2-3 weeks try introducing various food(s) twice a week I usually do Monday and Friday. If they like it or are hungry they will eat/try it. Otherwise they will go back to eating biolfilm or algae.Gradually over the next couple of weeks you will learn what they like and what they don't.

I have had alot of success recently with MK-Breed Red Diamond and Black Diamond.

I am using MK breed blue diamond in this tank and I have leaf litter in all my tanks. My parameters are pH 6.0, kh 0, gh 5, TDS 140ish. I use RO water only. I do not use MK breed blood diamond, but I do add a pinch of old sea mud and BT9 to water change water. I also added them to the substrate when setting up the the tank. Never change more than 10% at a time and usually only every 2 weeks or less. These shrimp just act different than my tigers and neos. They don't seem to touch the leaf litter either. They just seem to prefer the cholla and the substrate. I don't leave food in for longer than a few hours and I feed 2-3 days per week with a large variety. One of those days will be blanched veggies. I use these 99 cent reptile feeding dishes I find at Petsmart and I started making my own feeding baskets since I had the stuff laying around. I end up watching them for a couple hours on my days off and their colors are great. My husband just shakes his head at me. I guess I will just stop worrying about it.

Edit: I feed my blue/black shrimp MK black diamond and these picky guys didn't touch that either!

Your parameters are just fine. If all your other species/variations of shrimp are doing well I highly doubt its anything to do with your water parameters. Just remember that the majority of their diet is biofilm and algae, if you see them constantly grazing then thats a good thing. Can't force them to eat processed foods, they will come around if and when they want. 

If you do think you have a calcium deficiency in your TBs and there not eating food your introducing. Try using MK-Blood Diamond, Borneowild MineRock, and/or other supplements that would introduce beneficial trace elements and minerals to ensure they are receiving whats necessary to help them molt properly.

This is just my opinion and I am not saying these products are your magic formula, but I do think it may ease your mind. I always tell people I would rather introduce to many trace elements, minerals, vitamins to ensure my shrimp are receiving the proper nutrition. I would hate for them to die while molting when I knew I could of done more.