Anyone have success in breeding OEBT in TB / CRS parameters?

Tobe

I just wanted to see how many people out there are having success in leaving their OEBT to either breed with themselves or cross breed with taiwan bees/crystal shrimp in softer parameters that are fit for taiwan bees?

Also can I get some more clarification on the different cross breeding terms. What makes a taitibee and what makes a taitaibee or are they the same thing?

If you breed an OEBT with a TB will the offspring be a cross breed that carry the TB gene? Basically a tiger equivalent of a mischling?

I keep and breed OEBTs in both my Taiwan Bee and Neocaridina shrimp tanks. The key is acclimation.

Tibee is a cross between a Tiger and TB/CRS/CBS/etc. A Taitibee is when the Tibee is breeded back with a Taiwan Bee. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is correct. Lots of terminology out there.

I have always found from my experience in breeding OEBTs, Reds, Bengals etc, that Tiger shrimps prefer PH 7-7.6 whereas the Tibees and TBs have to have the lower PH.  Tigers also like cooler water IMO.  I have bred over 300+ OEBTs over the last 4 years of keeping them, and have not had good results if the PH goes lower than 7.  My best tank had only small pebbled gravel with driftwood and rocks and moss in it with a sponge filter.....they bred like crazy in this setup, maybe it felt more natural to them, as rivers would be like this in the wild.

I tried different setups and found that I can only breed OEBTs in acidic water (basically, same as my CRS setup). i tried breeding reg tigers in inert substrate tank and it didn't go well until I put them in lower PH tank. I believe both higher and lower PH can work for tigers, but you might have to find out what's best for you.

The OEBTs I got from Taiwan were kept in ADA tanks anyway, the ones I got from Germany were kept in higher PH tank, but they do just fine in my ADA tank as well.

IMO It's easier to adapt shrimp to lower ph than higher.  So that makes perfect sense to me, Randy.

I agree with you as that's my experience too.

Within the last 2 months I moved about 4 OEBT to my TB tank and just found a berried OEBT, I think a Blue Bolt was the culprit!

• 2 months later...

Yes.  I put my OEBTs into my CRS/Crystal White Bee shrimp tank recently, along with my Royal Blue Tigers.  They were originally in tank with PH 7.6 and the Bee tank is PH 6.4.

I am very happy to announce that I have 2 x OEBTs and 1 x Royal Blue Tiger berried in this Bee tank.  I also added a heater and put it to 78F (can't actually adjust it as its a small heater that's preset)  So far everyone is loving this tank....many males buzzing all over the place this am, and I see someone has molted again.

I normally don't keep my Tigers in low PH or heated tank, but decided to try something different this time and its working.

I thought bee shrimp would not survive in 78? The more posts I read the more exceptions I find to the "rules" of shrimping. Interesting.

I still think 78°F is a little excessive, I keep all mine at 75°F or lower.

I wouldn't keep Tigers at that temp, I think they would survive fine but I believe there is a higher risk of bacterial infection.