What is your "ideal" mixed Taiwan Bee tank?

OK...just going to say up front that I know nothing about this but really want to get into the Taiwan Bee breeding.  I am cycling a great new tank now for this purpose.  I am totally confused as to what to put in there to, hopefully, get some rare types without importing them, etc.  I had thought to get F1 Mischlings but is that the best idea and what do I put in with them?  I LOVE Blue Bolts and shadow pandas, etc.  In fact it's hard to find one I don't like.  Just wanted some experienced opinions on how you would start his project.  So far I have only kept Neos but looking at some of the beautiful mixed tanks like Speedie and others keep, I really want to do that. Help??

if you want to focus on a specific color than you shouldnt do a mixed color tank. for example. if you love BB and Shadow Pandas thats 2 great colors to mix. I have a similar tank of just BB, shadow pandas, and shadow mosuras.  but if you are into getting whatever you get from each berried mom than no reason to not mix WR/RR/BKK/BB/SP/ETC.

BUT with that said if this is your first shrimp only tank, than i'd suggest you start with cheaper shrimp while you learn how to have success keeping shrimp.

you can practice all the same principles with CRS/CBS since they do great in TB parameters.

Thanks, bostoneric. This will not be my first shrimp only tank...but I have only kept neos. I am interested in finding out what you more experienced guys would do if you were starting onto TBs. I do think it exciting to have a tank that could potentially have some of the rarer types produced. I just don't know if that would be smart on terms of starting a selective breeding program.

I did this a while ago when I first got into the hobby of shrimp and what I found was selecting michlings that you liked the pattern of and placing them with your TB shrimp. you will have to rid the ones you don't want but you will start getting hino pattern and such even in the first crossing...its rather exciting! have fun with it. get the ones you like and watch what happens

Where did you get your mischlings?  I need to get them from a source I trust number one and two, don't know how to select the ones I am ordering with the leads I have.  It seems that the seller selects what I would get. 

If losing $500 is not going to be disastrous to you, then you can do this,

Set up the tank.

Get some CRS in there.

If CRS do well and multiply like mad after 3 months, get rid of them.

Get at least 20-30 TB of your choice, put them in this tank

I think this way, you will have a better chance considering you have not kept Caridina before. Just my opinion.

I like that idea.  Why would you recommend this way to start rather than mischlings?  I just think the mischlings sound so interesting but are they harder to keep?  I have told everyone that my Christmas list is simple....MONEY to spend on my shrimp "farm"!!!  Boy this is really an addiction, isn't it?  And hanging around with you guys really can get expensive!  All the incredible photos of beautiful shrimp!

I like that idea.  Why would you recommend this way to start rather than mischlings?  I just think the mischlings sound so interesting but are they harder to keep?  I have told everyone that my Christmas list is simple....MONEY to spend on my shrimp "farm"!!!  Boy this is really an addiction, isn't it?  And hanging around with you guys really can get expensive!  All the incredible photos of beautiful shrimp!

I don't oppose to the idea of using mischling, but really it depends on your goal, how much time you want to spend in this project, and what you have to work with (how many tanks).

The main problem with mischling is..... the good ones are hard to get. They are not all created equal. I probably have the better ones than average, here is one of the observation I made : http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1075-taiwan-bee-mischling/?hl=%20mischling%20%20such

If you want to go mischling way, then sure, you only need maybe 5 TB and as many mischling as you can afford. Put them in the tank, and cull the male mischling at around 1.0-1.2cm (< 1/2"). And keep doing so. You may not get many TB in the offspring for the first few generation but as long as you keep culling the male mischling, you will get more and more TBs.

So, that's why I propose, if you don't mind burning a few hundred bucks, TB x TB is much easier. You will lose some in the beginning, but in 4-6 months you should have so many of them, assuming of course if your tank provides a good environment for them (thus the CRS trial first).

Randy:  I have been meaning to get a reply to you and this time of year it's crazy!!  I have thought about what you suggested and it seems to be a good way to start.  I will start with the CRS and I figure that will at least give me time to think about what I want first time out.  I assume you will ship to North Carolina?  I will have to wait a couple more weeks to let the tank mature then I will want to order some of these little guys.  Thanks for such great advice and information!

Randy:  I have been meaning to get a reply to you and this time of year it's crazy!!  I have thought about what you suggested and it seems to be a good way to start.  I will start with the CRS and I figure that will at least give me time to think about what I want first time out.  I assume you will ship to North Carolina?  I will have to wait a couple more weeks to let the tank mature then I will want to order some of these little guys.  Thanks for such great advice and information!

Randy is in Canada not sure he ships to US but there are plenty of US sellers here with great stock :)

As Merth said, I don't ship live shrimps to regular US customers unless you have an import license. I do ship once in a while for prizes and to other hobbyists for species exchange but that's not regular sales.