Super Glue to Attach Moss?

RyeGuy411

I recieved some mosses from a couple of awesome forum members they know who they are! And I attached the moss to some new wood with thread which is a huge pain.  As H4n pointed out I mounded it together into one big clump so I could tie it to the wood quicker without indiviudally tying each little piece of the mosses.  I have read other places that some people use super glue to attach aquatic plants including mosses.  I know they sell specific glue for this purpose but from what I have seen it is the same as super glue from the hardware store. I have also read to use the gel type of glue and blot the wood so it isnt actually wet.  Has anyone else done this? Another part of my question is how long should  wait before returning the wood to the tank?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Ryan

Im not really wondering about the curing its more when you open a tube of super glue it stinks awful which is chemicals evaporating off of it. Then putting this into my shrimp tank it just seems like whatever comes off in the air will be released into the water.

I glued moss on driftwood in the past but quickly found that it was really unsightly. It left a big white residue on the wood and was present for a very long time. Usually it'll go away but is very unsightly for the first few months.

I know you mentioned tying is a pain (and I completely agree) but it really is a much cleaner method. Also by tying the moss you won't need to clump it. Tying helps saves on the amount of moss you need and also allows new growth to be fuller and look much more lush.

Edit: I found that glue method is only really useful for rhizome plants.

Ok tried it. You were all right I can never listen to advice. So multiple things happened, I glued myself to myself, I glued moss to myself, I couldn't get it to attach evenly, tried to clump, did not work. Ended up tying it again and guess what? The super glue left very unsightly white blotches on the wood. Hmm it's like you guys had a crystal ball.

Super glue and super glue gel are tank safe; I even use them in my reef.

Id recommend the gel over the traditional formula for gluing in a tank; its what I use for coral fragging.

The gel doesnt run; you can put a dot on a rock and it stays a dot even upside down. You still get a white blob, but much smaller than the regular super glue smear

The gel also cures to hard quickly back in the tank (and apparently doesnt release anything back into the water....I did some checking before I believed that super glue gel was all that was in the fancy tube of "frag glue")