Woopderson: Part-time shrimp rescuer

woopderson

I noticed that the males in my CRS tank were swimming around like crazy, so I decided to see if I could spot the molt.  To my surprise, I saw a female pinned on her side with males picking at her AND trying to mate. I have never seen that kind of aggression for the chitin. I netted the female, and put her in a breeder box. 

I feel so bad for the female. The males were so aggressive they ate a segment from two of her legs. She laid on her side for a while, and can now stand (albeit lopsided).  She is even eating! Here's hoping she makes a full recovery.

Has anyone seen that kind of aggression for the chitin? Is this a result of not enough food?

I've experienced this among my Taiwan Bees.  I've lost a few females due to this aggressive breeding behavior.  Its strange but I've noticed a higher percentage of males among my Taiwan Bees than any of my other tanks.  Something about them but their breeding and offsprings are skewed towards males over females.  As of recently, I've started culling out my males into my michling tank and leaving my main breeding tank with more females.  

As of recently, I think i've lost 4 females within the past 3 months because of this aggressive breeding behavior.  At first, I thought it had something to do with my water parameters and/or my removal of moss and plants when I made sales but I've recently spotted males just full on attacking females.  The "clinging on top" and aggressively picking away at the alive shrimp behavior is alarming to say the least.

Perhaps that is the cause of the problem, then. I have noticed there are more males than females. As a result the competition to mate is higher and they are becoming aggressive.

i see this all the time in my tiger tanks,  wild type are even more aggressive.  I find having tones of breeding tubes and hiding places helps big time.  I used to see it almost on a weekly basis but it has stopped once upped the number of breeding tubes i have in their tanks - i have around 5-6 in one half of a standard 33gal plus tones of other hiding spots

Good call, I will be sure to grab more. I thought there would be lots of spots to hide, as there is lots of driftwood and plants/moss. Hopefully that helps. She is alive and well in the breeder box now.

The protein theory makes sense as well. They currently eat kale, hikari algae wafer, and snowflake. I will try some protein food and see what happens.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. That poor female is worse off than I thought. In total she is missing a feeder arm, and 1 segment on 3 legs. Still alive and eating, hopefully she will be ok.

Phew, that is what I had hoped. I know one female I adopted was missing a leg and it reappeared after a molt. Time for her to eat her wheaties!