So my wife has a nikon d5100 camera she never uses because is is just too much camera for her, too complicated. I am a total novice as well but would like to use it for better pictures of my shrimp. I have done some research and found out i need to buy a macro lens. But which one? Does anyone have this camera? Is it what i need for shrimp photography or will it be too complex for a beginner?

WOW! Those are expensive. Is there a lens that is a little more affordable?

You can look for the same specs in a tameron they are budget friendly and take acceptable pictures. If you whish to take pics like the pros you will need a superior lens and a remote flash.

WOW! Those are expensive. Is there a lens that is a little more affordable?

It would worth every penny.

I had an even more expensive one: 200mm/F4, nothing can beat it unless with bellows.

1544500_1532918983658149_193760728543821

so it's all depends on your expectation.

and 105mm/f2.8G is also a good portrait lens.

for cheaper solution, 50mm/f1.8 + entension tube PK-13 would do it. just more than $100 if you buy used.

I have the 5200, pretty well the same model.  Using the 15-55mm kit lens is ok, but the pics are still grainy.  We need to have a pretty fast shutter speed, so ISO has to be used to compensate.  Having the macro lens can make a big difference as it will let in more light.  Brands like Sigma and Tamron exist, and can have very good lenses. You just have to hunt around!  I am saving up to get the Nikkor 60mm AF-S  F/2.8 Micro :)

Would a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 40mm F/2.8G DX SWM  lens work? What is the differance between the 40mm, 60mm and 105mm?

The key is working distance. which mean distance from front of lens to object(shrimp).

for short length lens, we can only take photo when shrimp is near front glass.

I just purchased the Tamron 90mm F/2.8 1.1 on ebay for $315.  Heck the camera body (Nikon D80) was only $150.  But like Maphly says, it's all in the lens - best not to skimp on lens.

And James - that is one fabulous photo!

I'm still learning how to use my camera and lens - it's a lot of camera.  Luckily my neighbor is professional photographer and uses nothing but Nikon. So she will be helping me.