Making Painted Yellows?

How did they breed out the sakura/painted cherries? I remember when I first started the hobby there were only regular cherries and then the ones with the racing stripe or w/e on the back and then BAM the whole thing is solid red. Looking at the yellow shrimp... they're clearly all yellow but it's translucent. The next grade up are neon yellows... is the whole point to selectively select for a wider stripe on the back and eventually you'll get to the point where it covers most/all of the body? I think Soothing is working on a line of painted yellows, maybe she'd chime in? any thoughts?

Heyya neil. :)

The density of coverage in the reds is actually made of tiny spots of pigment on the sides of the body.  These poor looking cherries were then bred to display more and more of these dots until looking solid.  (Actually, it looks more like a web under a microscope.) The stripe has never been bred to cover the whole shrimp.

I've theorized it could be done that way over time to create a pink, cream or even white shrimp, but I may be very wrong.  It really depends if the modifiers have a written in code that they should "stop" and not progress beyond a certain point. Ie. the back.  If that is the case than no matter how much one breeds for coverage from the stripe, one would have to have a legit mutation where that code was either written in error, or the "stop" line of the code was missing entirely.

My Sunshine strain was created by increasing the dot coverage as well.  Unfortunately they seem to have reached a dead end where either breeding depression set in, or sterility may have happened.  I'm now mixing them with my yellow strain #2 to try to get jump start them again.

Does this help?

Ahhh yeah I was reading up about how the wild neo's have red and yellow pigment by default and they were bred out to form the cherries and yellows. So why do people say the neon yellows are a higher grade than the regular yellows? the regular yellow shrimp seems to be nearly all translucent yellow which is better than low grade cherries where the lack of pigmentation is really obvious. Wouldn't it be smarter to try to go for painted yellows with a stock of regular yellows if that stripe on the neons doesn't really mean much? I'm thinking of getting some yellows and am not sure if i should start with regular yellows or neon yellows. 

as a side note... soothing are you a guy or a gal??? I could've sworn people referring to you as a gal but thegardenofeder's post seems to say so otherwise. 

i amnot perfectly sure what is breed in this line.. the ones i god have a slight orange shade in them and obviously the yellow back stripe is more than a regular backstripe.. it goes into the body of the animals.. the first picture shows the very best in them, I received only animals from the very group presented .. not the best of them (i couldnt even hoped for) but the genes are here also.. so who knows....

personally i find this individuals having the nicest yellow in shrimp world. (i also got some brilliant blue ones (dark intense blue from blue dreams i think ) and i think a pure Blue bolt line, that results only in blue bold descendants. I am very happy today because of these..

IMPORTANT: by saying individuals, i mean shrimps as individuals, not the breeder. sorry if that can be taken mistakenly as something elese

wow manticore those look amazing! you're really making me want to buy some yellow shrimps now ahaha, hopefully they come out with the painted yellows soon!