Next newbie step - shipping shrimp

Crazyfishlady

So, posting a pic of a ton of my snowballs in their feeding dish has resulted in numerous FB messages asking me if I am selling. Who knew?

While I am not ready to go there yet... I would like to do a swap with a person on FB. He has snowballs, so it would be a straight swap to get new blood in our tanks. This is if I can find him again, lol.

But it got me wondering how shipping and also about prepping the shrimp for shipping.

With Bettas, I know you fast them for 2 days prior, but I'm guessing that is not needed (and likely a bad idea) for shrimp since they need to constantly eat/graze (then again, I could be wrong).

I need to get breather bags -

- What is a good, reliable source?

- From what I've read, you tie a very secure knot in the bag and do NOT allow any air pocket

Something for them to hold onto -

- usually moss

I still have the styrafoam box that my blues came in but where do you get those? How do you figure out shipping.

Yea.. a lot of questions. I'm nervous, never really planned on crossing into this territory and may never go so far as to 'sell' (just swap or something) but I like to know what I am doing. I want to make sure I am keeping the shrimp safe and providing the best possible situation.

Any help? 

There is a really good article on shipping shrimp on the shrimp tank. Thats what I used to send my first shipment which was about 50 shrimp in two of the small breather bags (not reccomended) but worked out perfectly.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/shipping-shrimp/

Add some lose Purigen in the bag, says that in the articel.  And boxes you can go on the USPS website and order them I believe for free. I have so many left over from shipments I have gotten sent that I dont imagine I will need to buy boxes ever.

Oh and I ordered 10 Kordon bags from amazon. I can not see me shipping tons of shrimp so the 10 should be enough for me for a while. Its good to have them on hand, you never know when someone will want to swap shrimp! I love shrimp swap, I currently have a Pinto on loan from ShrimpFan.

Thank you!!

I had never intended to need to ship, they were just meant to be pets :) But I would at least like to swap with the one guy and get some new blood in there to keep them healthy :)

I will have to read through that info as soon as my computer comes back.

Oh and I ordered 10 Kordon bags from amazon. I can not see me shipping tons of shrimp so the 10 should be enough for me for a while. Its good to have them on hand, you never know when someone will want to swap shrimp! I love shrimp swap, I currently have a Pinto on loan from ShrimpFan.

If you  ordered 10 kordon breather bags from Amazon, chances are you got ripped off pretty badly.

I usually get my breather bags here

http://aqpkg.com/Poly-Bags.html

Yea, I looked them up on amazon, found a great deal on 10 for $5... then saw it was $12.50 for shipping...??? 

I found these on ebay that look nearly the same? I don't want to skimp on the bags but don't want to get taken on price either  http://www.ebay.com/itm/231433616952?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you  ordered 10 kordon breather bags from Amazon, chances are you got ripped off pretty badly.

I usually get my breather bags here

http://aqpkg.com/Poly-Bags.html

They were $12 shipped prime. Not a big deal needed them in a hurry and did not need a bunch. Like I said the 10 I got will probably last me this year.

Well I ordered the ones I put in a link for. I found the person on FB that wanted to swap snowballs. Unfortunately I didn't realize he only recently got his and doesn't even have babies yet. So seems it will be awhile.

Just how many can I keep in a 10 gallon?

I've been offered some great non-snowball swaps but I can't set up another tank, I'm pushing it with the 5 I have in my small apartment, lol. So tempting though...

Good to know and I started out with 15 in early december. I've tried to count them but the best number I can come up with is 'over 100'. lol  I tried to tell them to hold still so I could count them but they just won't listen :)

Best I can do is try to count the ones grazing on the sides - got up to 58 (I keep algae on 3 sides so they graze like herds of cows), then counted the ones in the food dish... another 40-ish... then tried to count the others zipping around and gave up. How the heck do you all count your shrimp? :D

Can you take a good photograph, and count from that? I think some wildlife counts are done that way.

I had the same thought. Unfortunately my snowballs 'wash out' against the terra cot feeder dish. So.. the pics come out like this and I have to try to count the black spots, lol  That and the fact that they will not hold still. My guesstimate is about 40 to 50 in this one shot

post-507-0-52812500-1427075504_thumb.jpg