New shrimp. Molting soon, or something else?

WDIK

Funny what you can't see with the naked eye.  I took this picture and thought it was interesting.  Shrimp have been in my tank for 2 days.  There was a successful molt while I was at work.  Just being a little paranoid and want to make sure there isn't an infection of some kind going on. 

After a couple of days of being pretty active most of my shrimp are hiding right now.

hwig40.jpg

heh  The mods are pretty quick to get rid of spam here. ;)

I'm always amazed at close ups of the eye of shrimp.

Complete luck with my cheap point and shoot camera.  The only way I can get a good pic is if they are close to the glass.

Any thoughts on the white spots?  My major reason for concern is that I have one shrimp showing a white band.  Not a rili-type clear band, but completely white.  I've read that it could be a parasite/infection of some kind.  The shrimp with the white band sat in the same spot all night last night.  If he's still there tonight, I may cull him.

Am I missing the 'white band' in the pic? Are we talking about the 'splotchy' parts that seem to go down the whole back or is that part of the color?

I'm too new to know what is what most of the time

Nope sorry.  The shrimp in the pic is not the one with the white band.  Not sure I can get a pic of the white banded shrimp unless I remove him from the tank.  My concern was the white banded shirmp and the white splotches on the shrimp in the OP.

For reference the pic below is exactly what it looks like (borrowed from the web, not my pic/shrimp).

Thanks for the help.

166aeko.jpg

If your shrimp has a paper white band and not clear, it sure sounds as if bacterial.  Usually they get that clear separation when ready to molt.

It's for sure a paper white band.  Treat the tank or cull?  I do have Seachem ParaGuard arriving today, but not sure I want to throw too much at the tank since the shrimp have only been in there a few days.  I've only noticed one shrimp with the band.  All others appear healthy.

My own motto is if I'm very suspicious, I cull.  Better for me to be wrong with one than to be wrong and ruin a colony.

I'm leaning that way.  I hate to lose one of the 18 shrimp, but I want to do what's best for the others.

The banded shrimp and 2 others were dead when I got home this afternoon.  Water parameters were good as of last night.  Did a water change and added 25% dose of ParaGuard.  Will increase tomorrow.

Remaining shrimp look fine.  :(

Keep a close eye on them.  because teh rest appear healthy, you may want to do my method for a water reset to lower bacteria levels and give them a better chance at not getting it.

Will do.  What is your water reset method?  Nevermind, I found your method with a Google search.

Exceedingly simple actually.  Drain tank to about 1" of water left, and refill it via airline siphon with water that is the proper params.

The airline put in the water slow enough it doesn't chock the shrimp, and the water quality is near pristine because of being brand new.  The bacteria will be significantly reduced from the water giving your shrimp a better chance of not getting sick.

• 2 weeks later...