Alum - or other plant soaking - critter killing options

Crazyfishlady

I'm kinda hijacking greenteam's comment in this thread http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3174-hydra-post/?hl=alum#entry45241  

I want to know more since this sounds like a great alternative to bleach and that stuff that dyes everything purple. Seems so many 'issues' come in on plants.

Does it harm snails? 

I just got some water spangles and I was planning on using it but I have a nerite in one tank and some strange snail that appeared at some point and has gotten really big... so I figured if he was that sneaky... I'll let him/her be... lol no clue what kind

I did get some alum at the store (about $3) but wanted to ask before I do the soak. Also - do we know what it will kill and what it won't? Not sure how I could 'test' that without a science lab, ha ha

I use it to kill snails and it has worked every time. I just put roughly a teaspoon in about 4 cups of water and soak the plants for 12-24 hours. Rinse and the plants are ready. If A tiny bit remains its not going to hurt any snail that already in the tank. I've used this on delicate plants with no issues.