HMF Filter Comparison

mayphly

I've looked at both filters time and time again. I hear nothing but good things about Swiss Tropicals. But they want double the price of an Ebay one. Is there any benefit of one over the other? It actually looks like the eBay one would move more water due to the extended perforated part where the sponge would normally sit on. aa7e3bce1b70455170dc2cd8855a3d05.jpgb0c8a3799180feeb9e0d3ef632e7ac43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the foam compare? Does ebay use the same Poret foam? The perforated pipe looks like more of a restriction than an improvement, the water has to move through the same ID pipe, a open end will flow more than a perforated pipe attached to the same ID pipe.

How does the foam compare? Does ebay use the same Poret foam? The perforated pipe looks like more of a restriction than an improvement, the water has to move through the same ID pipe, a open end will flow more than a perforated pipe attached to the same ID pipe.

I don't think the Ebay one is made of "Poret" foam. I can't compare them since i've never used either one before. Now that you mention about the perforated holes I can see those getting clogged up easily and being a pain to clean out. I could just cut off that end for better flow. For $9. shipped I may buy one and mess with it.

People claim the real poret foam will last over 1 year without cleaning. Not sure how the cheaper foam will hold up. Also poret comes in different sized pores and make one for shrimp and fry. And the jet flow pipe moves more water volume then the sponge filter one, larger diameter.

From the website. http://www.swisstropicals.com/faq/

Q: what pore size (PPI) is best for fish fry or shrimps?

A: for tiny fish fry or shrimp I recommend the very fine 45 PPI (pores per inch) with a slow water flow through the foam so that the fry are not pulled into or against it. Air driven Poret® HMFs such as in my fishroom are best for raising fish or shrimp since the large surface area slows down the flow velocity and small fry can find little critters living on its surface as additional food.

I don't know that the pipe will help move more water but rather spread out the colection area over the length of the pipe instead of concentrating it in 1 spot.

I started using the Swiss tropicals foam at the beginning of the year and it out performs the cheap stuff, I've been experimenting with different ones in different aplications. I have 3 strips of the 10, 20, and 30ppi at 1"w-x 1"d- x 12"h pushing 200gph easily. That being said I don't think you will need to spend the extra money on that foam unless your placing a pump behind it instead of going air driven.

Foret foam can last for 10 year. cheap one can't.

So for the long run, winner is clear.

And one more point, you don't know any chemical in that ebay foam.

I won't risk expensive shrimp to save few bucks.

Good point about the unknown chemicals. Swiss Tropicals Poret it is then. I have been looking forward to their jet tubes for sometime now. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the corner HMF for a 10g are a custom order from ST. Here is the email response I received from them

the cornerfilter kits are custom orders since the height varies depending on tank manufacturer. The small size is $18 for braces and foam (7.8x11.5x2 in in 45 ppi black) plus $10 for the the medium 8 in jetlifter. I will need the exact height from the glass bottom to the underside of the plastic frame to cut the braces.

I'm thinking about ordering 6 of these And maybe 6 standard ones,