Water Changes?

Hi Shrimp Spot

I'm working on my first tank and it has been about 10 days since I've introduced my first shrimp. My TDS and GH has been holding steady as have been my other water paramters. 

I'm keeping almost all Taiwan Bees with one CRS. I've been getting lots of different opinions on water changes from 10% once a week to up to 25 every weeks or so. I've noticed two successful molts the last couple days so I don't want to disrupt things for them. I was planning on doing a small water change 10% tomorrow, but just wanted to know your thoughts!

thanks!

10% every week is pretty standard. It really depends on the tank size, stocking density and feeding regime. If your not generating any Nitrates, then you can get away with much less water changes.

Its a really good idea to drip the new water back in instead of dumping large volumes.

I have a 20 gallon long moderately stocked and I do about a 3 gallon water change every Saturday. I top off with RO water every day. If I notice a lot of molts before my water change I wait a day or two and then do one.

I may be of a rare breed, but i perform water changes very seldom once a tank is established. I check my TDS weekly that's about it, if the results are where I want them to be I leave the tank alone. I do usually top-off my aquariums weekly. 

Do I think water changes are bad, never, but I don't see a benefit to constantly performing water changes if all water parameters are stable. This is why we spend the time cycling our aquariums, to produce beneficial bacteria that aid in breaking down ammonia, and nitrites. I do notice that because I do water changes so seldom, when I do one, it encourages molting and breeding activity.

This is just what I do, it may not be for everyone.

Hi Shrimp Spot

I'm working on my first tank and it has been about 10 days since I've introduced my first shrimp. My TDS and GH has been holding steady as have been my other water paramters. 

I'm keeping almost all Taiwan Bees with one CRS. I've been getting lots of different opinions on water changes from 10% once a week to up to 25 every weeks or so. I've noticed two successful molts the last couple days so I don't want to disrupt things for them. I was planning on doing a small water change 10% tomorrow, but just wanted to know your thoughts!

thanks!

It's funny how different methods work for different people. I find that your parameters stay a lot more stable if you have a cover over your tank. Depending on how much stuff like food, bacteria supplements, etc.. you add to the tank will dictate your parameter changes. Less stuff added = less water changes. I think with shrimp less is more. If your tank was cycled properly you shouldn't have to worry about supplements and feeding so much. I keep a 3 gallon tank full of mischling which I rarely feed and change the water maybe 4-6 times a year. I mostly top off with RO once a week They breed like crazy and moss and plants (lilaeopsis) do great. Zero algae problems as well. The tds in this tank stays around 130 with GH of 5. Just remember shrimp don't like changes. If you keep to a steady regime your shrimp will be happy. I also have tanks (no cover) which I perform 10-20 percent water changes as needed. I think you'll be fine with 10% water changes. Your shrimp will let you know.

I try to just test the water for nitrates every week and just change if they seem to be creeping up.   It takes a lot of will power. I am always seeing something in my tank that I want to fix  and having come from the "Fish" world where water change once a week was just proper fish keeping, old habits die hard.  

They do seem happier and breed better when I just leave the tank alone other than top offs.

I'm the same my 30g gets RO top offs everyday and I change 5gs every 2-3 months. Everything breeds like crazy in there and I always get solid molts that look like a ghost version's of the shrimp.

I had issues with berried female's molting before eggs hatched specially with TB's back when I was doing weekly WC's, but now they can go easily 34+ days holding eggs with no issues.