Moving shrimp tanks?

fishcrazy

I will be moving to a new house in the next couple days and I would like some suggestions on how to go about breaking down and moving my shrimp tanks. The tanks are full of shrimplets and is heavily planted. Should I catch as many as I can then leave a bit of water just in case some I can't catch them all? I plan on putting everything in bags.

How far are you moving?

I have two 10 gallons, 5.5 gallon, and a divided 20 gallon. I have two other fish only tanks. A 29 gallon and a 20 gallon. I know how to move fish tank. I just catch all the fish put them in 5 gallon buckets, but I've had some jump. Because of that I'm putting them in fish bags this time.

OK, so here's what I did with my 10 gallon. I had tons of babies all over, so netting them out wasn't an option for me.

1. Covered siphon w/mesh – siphoned off all but 2 gallons of tank water into buckets. Made sure all moss/plants remained submerged.
  2. Covered tank tightly with lots of cling wrap and then taped all edges to prevent water sloshing out.
  3. Slid entire tank onto solid wood board (got a scrap free at Lowes), then out to car. I did this to avoid stress on the seams from carrying it.
  4. (Drove super slowly with my blinkers on)
  5. Reassembled at destination.
  6. Carefully poured back all their old water.

i just moved and basically did what sarah wrote. i moved 2 20longs, 2 10's, 1 5.5, 1 2.5. basically i used 10 5 gallon buckets and filled them all up and took all the tanks down to an inch or so of water and put them in my car... drove slow with hazards on. all shrimp seem to be doing okay! its been 2-3 days so far.

That's a great idea, SS!