For ADA AS Users

What is the fastest way to get rid of dirt particles?

I've been running my filter for a good month and it's been covering my filter floss fully with dirt. My Matrix is covered up in dirt as well.

I've been switching my filter floss a lot yet still lots of dirt left.

How long does it usually take you guys to have most or all dirt particles removed?

I probably just got a batch with crap load of dirt or something I'm doing is causing it.

When you had ADA AS, was this a problem that never gets fixed or at some point, all dirt particles are removed?

No, it's always something in the water, never get to the point that it's crystal clear.

No, it's always something in the water, never get to the point that it's crystal clear.

Interesting.

Then let's say Matrix, how do you keep it from being covered in dirt?

Every week when I check my filter, the whole thing is covered in dirt which most likely makes Matrix useless.

I've noticed with amazonia the less you disturb the substrate from the very first time you pour water in it the clearer it will look in the long run. If the soil is disturbed in the beginning and the water clouds it will take forever to clear up. I've done this plenty of times. It's freakin' frustrating! Now I use a Tom Aqualifter when I start a new tank with amazonia. Dripping the water in will also work just as well. Then to top it off if you use Purigen it wil take care of the rest. You can always drain it and refill it if you don't have shrimp in it yet. The pic doesn't do this tank justice. It's gin clear!

post-89-0-38773900-1434228188_thumb.jpg

I use ADA and mine is normally cleared within two weeks. Drip water in. Large water changes then any cloudy water is usually cleared with floating plants. My tanks are crystal clear until I add the bacter anyway

I'm not talking about cloudy water here.

The water does not look cloudy at all.

I'm talking about the tiny tiny dirt particles. It's taking over my filter.

I'm not talking about cloudy water here.

The water does not look cloudy at all.

I'm talking about the tiny tiny dirt particles. It's taking over my filter.

Ah I see what you mean. Sorry can't help I've not noticed any real issues with my filter getting clogged past first few weeks. My smaller tanks have a earthy smell with ADA but no problem with clogged filters

Sounds like you might of got the last batch from the bottom of the barrel when they were bagging it. I've never experienced this. I'd try siphoning all the water out and refilling. Hopefully that would work.

Sounds like you might of got the last batch from the bottom of the barrel when they were bagging it. I've never experienced this. I'd try siphoning all the water out and refilling. Hopefully that would work.

Making RO water right now to do that.

Hoping for the best.

Done over 15 water changes when I first got it.

Hoping for the best.

15 water changes should of sorted things.

What size tank is it?

What depth of substrate ?

And did you do 100% water changes?

10G

8-9cm thick

yes always 90-100% water changes

8-9 cm is deeper than I have in my smaller tanks but with all the water changes and clear water I can't see why your filter should be so dirty. Maybe just a bad dusty batch and needs more time to settle

Hoping for the best.

Did it work?

• 2 years later...