Hey ShrimpSpot!

I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a decent Back-Ups unit, between two aquariums I only use about 76 watts, and I am looking at the APC Back-UPS Pro 1300. I would really only use the back-up side for my filters, which only use 16 watts total, and my lights would just go on the surge protector side. 

Why would I even think to purchase one? Well, its going to be hurricane season in a couple months, and power outages could be devastating. I would hate to lose thousands of dollars of shrimp because I didn't spend the $100+ dollars.

What are your thoughts? Why don't I see more people using Back-UPS units for their expensive shrimp tanks at the very least?

Thank you all!

Daryl/DETAquarium

I definitely think I will make the investment, to keep my canister filters going. The Back UPS unit I am purchasing can power 780 watts, so I think the 16 watts from my Eheim 2213's will last a while if the power fails.

Last hurricane that hit south Florida I was with out power for 35 days. I do have a APC unit but I also have a power inverter for my car for prolonged outages.

I use a UPS on my air pump, I had a power outtage a week after I bought it. Since then power has gone out again and it has run for six hours without quitting. I think its a must have if you keep expensive shrimp. I also have a whole house generator that we only turn on for extended outtages so if my backup fails im still ok.

still the best option will always be a small gas generator.  UPS wont last a couple days.

Yes, small gas generator costs around 100 bucks.

But gas generator won't start automatically and UPS does.

I have an aquaponics setup that uses a standard 40AH car battery with an inverter. It powers my EcoPlus CA3 35W air pump for about 3 days. I leave the battery on a Battery Tender Junior to keep it maintained and have a relay circuit to switch it when AC power goes out.