Controsoil grain size for planted shrimp tank??

I have controsoil in my 20 long planted shrimp tank. I chose fine. I think the size is perfect. In my opinion the ex-fine was too small and wouldn't be "heavy" enough.

Is it ok for Neocaridina? I have yellow and reds!

Is it ok for Neocaridina? I have yellow and reds!

It will buffer your pH pretty low if you're using RO water with a remineralizer. If you use tap it won't be quite as low, but in my opinion would defeat the purpose of this particular substrate. It says on the packaging not to use products that enhance the pH or TDS. I personally use a TDS supplement to get my parameters perfect, but I haven't had any issues. I love it and you can definitely make it work. My plants grow very well in this substrate.

And your shrimp are beautiful!

Thank you :) I purchased that particular blue bolt from Shrimpscales here on shrimpspot. He got me started with some of my first Taiwan bees and they are beautiful!

It will buffer your pH pretty low if you're using RO water with a remineralizer. If you use tap it won't be quite as low, but in my opinion would defeat the purpose of this particular substrate. It says on the packaging not to use products that enhance the pH or TDS. I personally use a TDS supplement to get my parameters perfect, but I haven't had any issues. I love it and you can definitely make it work. My plants grow very well in this substrate.

I just use tap water, but I really wanted to get this for my plants! I am looking into starting to do RO water, but I don't know what remineralizer to use! I don't want it to get too expensive either!

I highly recommend "Fine" over "Extra-Fine". I setup two aquariums a few months ago, one with "Fine" and the other "Extra-Fine". I used canister filters with spray bars, I found that the "Extra-Fine" was so light, that at the front of the tank a divot was starting to form from the circulation, slowly pushing substrate farther and farther back.

If your using a spone filter/UG/HMF you should be fine either way.

• 2 weeks later...