Water Parameter adjustment

hi guys,

after much trial and error and adjustments i kinda figured out what was wrong with my tanks... from all the hard work and some deaths that transpired during this period, i kinda got me a good colony of fire reds and pumpkin shrimp growing... (thanks to all the feedback and advice given by members of this forum... it was greatly appreciated)

here is my current tank water parameters

Ammonia and nitrite 0

nitrate 20-30ppm

GH 7

PH 8

KH 9

TDS 280

(This is for my neos tank, fire reds, pumpkins, red and carbon rilis)

I top up only with pure RO water when there is about a half inch of water vapor loss due to having a fan on top of my tank in order to keep the temp stable (25 to 28 degrees C) .

I would like to ask for advice how to get my tank to this parameters without causing shock to my shrimps... i have 5 berried and alot of shrimplets, one thing i would like to avoid is stress, ph and osmotic shock to them...

I want to get the tank to this water parameters:

TDS 250

GH 7

KH 0

PH 7

Should i do it in multiple water changes? (3 water changes of 35% each, with one water change done every 2 to 3 weeks )

or do a full tank reset?

I currently have some RO water remineralized to TDS 150, GH 5, KH 0 and Ph 6.6 just waiting to be introduced to the tanks...

would like to ask for advice which would be the best route to take to reach the ideal parameters that im looking for...

Thanks a bunch

GH 6

The quickest way to get there would be to remove the shrimp, do a full water reset then acclimate the shrimp on a very slow drip back to the new tank water. If you do multiple water changes it will take a very long time and would probaly casue more stress from multiple changes than one change.

its an 80L tank... so i guess i would need to do this over a course of 2 months... my question if i currently have KH 9 right now and do a 20% water change with remineralized water with a KH VALUE of 0 or 1 would that help...

? basically i want to try to lower the KH value while not affecting my GH and TDS... once i get my KH to 1 i could add alder cones and IAL to solve my PH problem...

at what KH value would alder cones and IAL have an effect in lowering the ph... must the KH be at 1?

its an 80L tank... so i guess i would need to do this over a course of 2 months... my question if i currently have KH 9 right now and do a 20% water change with remineralized water with a KH VALUE of 0 or 1 would that help...

? basically i want to try to lower the KH value while not affecting my GH and TDS... once i get my KH to 1 i could add alder cones and IAL to solve my PH problem...

at what KH value would alder cones and IAL have an effect in lowering the ph... must the KH be at 1?

I don't think KH matters.

for keeping neos, only pH and GH matters.

pH around 7.5 and GH at 8, you would be fine.

the key is keeping water stable, it's more important than keeping it at exactly narrow range.

hello james, the reason why i was concerned with KH was for me to be able to control my ph... my PH right now is sitting at 8.0 and my KH is 8... if i could safely lower my kh down to 1 or 2, i could safely control and lower my ph to 7.0 to 7.5 by using IAL and alder cones... :) will be doing a partial water change tomorrow... keeping my fingers crossed. :)

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys... been a while since i last updated my post about water parameter adjustment... managed to keep my TDS and GH stable .... now my Kh has eventually dropped from KH 9 to Kh 4.... i would like to ask at what KH value would alder cones be effective at controlling and managing the ph, to lower the ph back to 7 or 6.8. 

my RO water mix has a ph of 6, but after adding it to the tank, the tank ph value stays still at 7.6 despite having a few alder cones inside the tank... one reason being its the high KH value... if i could get the KH value down to KH 2 would alder cones be effective in lowering down the ph to ph 7 or 6.8?