Looking To Set Up Some Breeding Tanks

For those of you who breed shrimp, what is your setup like? I would eventually like to start breeding Blue Bolts. What tanks sizes should I be looking at and how many? What the smallest sized tanks I could get by with as I am looking to maximize space. Is there a certain way to set up these type of tanks, bare bottoms vs substrate etc... All the tanks will be connected to a centralized sump that will handle filtration and temperature control as well as water topoff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blue Bolts, so having buffering substrate to naturally keep your pH lower will help.  However, if your RO water is already low, it might not be too much of a concern.

A compromise that I have seen people do is use about a 4" tall divider, and adding some substrate and plants near the back 1/3 of the tank, and leaving the front 2/3'rds bare bottom for ease of feeding, cleaning, netting, while also provide a somewhat natural area for the shrimp to hangout, and some buffering substrate with the added benefit of assisting with biological filtration.  I would probably go this route if I was to setup for selective breeding.  I would either use a bubble filter or HMF.

I found Randy, here in ShrimpSpot via a quick google search for the setup I'm talking about.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1044-half-bare-bottom-tank-setup/

R1DSC00158_zpsabdaccbd.jpg

You will want to have atleast 1 tank setup outside of your main setup for Quarantine.

Goodluck!  I'll take one of your BB's for the free consultation.  :thumbsu:

I have one set up like this too.  My soil isn't as deep as the ones shown (only about 2 inchs) but the tank is divided by 1/3 with glass.  I find the shrimps don't always come into the clear area to eat, so I had to put food in the area with the soil too.  Its a good idea, but for me it doesn't work. I found also that trying to view what the shrimps are doing way in the back was frustrating so I turned my 10 gallon tank sideways again to I could watch them better.   If you are running a lot of 10 gallon tanks like this then maybe it would give you more room, but for myself I found I liked having the long view instead of the short view better.

Interesting, are those a UGFs in the tank and if so are your pre-filtering the under substrate pipes or grid from sucking the ADA breakdown dust ?

Ok have found the link and see they are UGFs,  I have recently set up some test tanks with them also, but used 20mm of larva rock granules directly above the grids and then a layer of fine gauze to hopefully prevent ADA getting under the larva rock, only been going for 5 weeks so too early to tell the results..