Shirakura Red Bee Sand

High5 is correct, along with Shirakura Red Bee Sand is make for Japanese tap water, not RO. (per Liam/Shirakura USA)

I've talked with him over a year ago about bringing this soil in and this was one of the factors why we decided against it.

downfall of USA, we only have limited access to soils.

You could give controlsoil/brightwell a shot. They have 3 different grain sizes to choose from, and it doesn't leech. I had the same issue with the Fluval Stratum, it's just so light. I really had to plant deep to hope things would stay.  

I dont use UGF, not for any reason other than I have a system that seems to work. Controsoil does leech very small amounts of ammonia if your bacteria is colonized sufficiently it shouldnt be problem. Controsoil cycling I have found is very fast, keep the temp up to 86 and pH at 7-7.2 and lots of bacteria starters and frequent additon of baceria and a tank can be cycled in 2-3 weeks. That is under ideal conditions and cycling with hard tap water. Once my ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 then I change out all the water with RO and remineralizer let the pH stabilize and drop the temp and its ready for shrimp.