Blue neos

Aennedry

In the opinion of those who have them, which of the blue neos have the most intense true blue color that breed true. I was looking at Planet Inverts catalog and they have seven different types. Some are very pale, but there are the blue dreams, blue fantasy, blue wizards. At another site they have what they call dream blue velvet that is pretty dark (from Aquatic Arts). 

Thank you

Hey!

Honestly right now in the US, the blue neo's are all screwy. What I mean by this is that every breeder calls the shrimp a different name this confusing the customer (us). For example: some blue dreams are bred from chocolates while other are bred from Carbon rili shrimp.

So, I would say it's a total crap shoot haha I would go with blue dreams that originate from carbons. Alpha Pro Breeders has some fantastic ones! They are a nice deep blue color. If you want a light blue, go with blue velvets. They breed pretty true although they will throw a blue rili every now and again.

Hope that helped!

Rob

Great post, Rob!

I'll also say that 2 blue neo davidi from different strains will not necessarilly give you blue offspring.

I recently saw again where someone did not know this and wound up with wild colored f1s.

This further goes to support my theory that colors are located on more than one gene, complicating color research.

Thanks LupDiesel and Soothing. I will keep those important facts in mind. All the different names are confusing, and no one seems to give info on them. It is just "here is a great blue neo shrimp, easy to keep" and that is all. 

I just bought 10 dream blue velvets from aquatic arts and like 2-3 of them look exactly like a blue rilli (not the red ones, but darker blue on head/tail and lighter blue middle). The rest of them look just like pictures and are so beautiful. Waiting to see how they breed.

The pics of Aquatic Arts are a lovely blue. I have seen the Sea Sky blues on aquabid, love the color, but don't trust the seller currently offering them. Had been thinking about blue tigers, but they seems that they lean a little more sensitive than other tigers to water prams. 

Might put the blues on hold for a while in hopes for some stability. Alpha Pro Breeders has the Taiwan Fire Red I always pictured when I though of red shrimp. And Leopard Shrimp. Those could keep me busy for a while, and they should be able to share a tank just fine.

The pics of Aquatic Arts are a lovely blue. I have seen the Sea Sky blues on aquabid, love the color, but don't trust the seller currently offering them. Had been thinking about blue tigers, but they seems that they lean a little more sensitive than other tigers to water prams.

Might put the blues on hold for a while in hopes for some stability. Alpha Pro Breeders has the Taiwan Fire Red I always pictured when I though of red shrimp. And Leopard Shrimp. Those could keep me busy for a while, and they should be able to share a tank just fine.

I purchased 10 Sea Sky blue neos from that seller. Their color was stunning. They did not breed true though. I was told that the would have solid color throughout with no breaks. Several of the offspring had more of a Rili pattern with dark blue on the head and tail and a lighter blue in the middle. The original color of the shrimp was a beautiful color, but I only had few offspring the looked the same.

I purchased 10 Sea Sky blue neos from that seller. Their color was stunning. They did not breed true though. I was told that the would have solid color throughout with no breaks. Several of the offspring had more of a Rili pattern with dark blue on the head and tail and a lighter blue in the middle. The original color of the shrimp was a beautiful color, but I only had few offspring the looked the same.

I also purchased a dozen of Sea Sky Blue and few of the originals I got are way more stunning than others. super bright neon solid blue is how I would describe the blue. I have about 20 shrimplings right now and in time I plan to selective breed them to where it will hopefully become true.