Are amaranth leaves considered leave-in food?

maylee

Just a quick question. I don't want to spoil the water nor do I want to overfeed. I don't leave manufactured foods in for more than an hour or two. I'm just not sure if amaranth leaves fit into that category or not. I guess I'm specifically referring to the tantora product though.

Would it depend on whether it goes in dry or whether you boil them first? I figure if you boil it, it would spoil easier.

I leave mine in.  They don't last very long.  I think it is safe to say that out of all the leaves I've tried, My shrimp go the most crazy over the Amaranth. 

I have a small community and leave mine in. They usually don't last more than a day.  I remove the "veins" of the leaf that sometimes are not eaten.   Agree with Jadenlea, mine have a favorite and it's Amaranth. Use it directly from package and they

ride and roll on it all over the tank. 

I'm interested in growing these also. Same question as above RE amaranth varieties.

Would this be a suitable candidate?

http://smile.amazon.com/Vegetable-Pollinated-Seeds-Davids-Garden/dp/B00DYH38HI/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1438457360&sr=1-1&keywords=Amaranth+seeds

Take it out if you are worried about it.

I have tried a few leaf types. Fresh, dried, boiled, or not. Boiling makes the leaf edible sooner. Even so, it takes some time before they really pick it apart. The only leaves that worry me are spinach and lettuce, they get mushy. Otherwise, stuff like mulberry and dandelion I leave in for days until only the skeleton is left, lol.

If you dropped it in straight from the bag it will take them time to make a dent in it.  I usually nuke mine for 20 seconds to make it soft.    On the other hand, the mulberry leaves that I drop in dry , can take days to disappear. 

Amaranth and Mulberry leaves are typically not known as "Leave in foods", but there isn't a problem leaving them in the tank. These two types of leaves are considered more of a food source than water conditioner. Oak, IAL, Guava, Walnut, etc are typically water conditioners as the idea is to leave them in your tank to allow micro organisms to break down the leaves. The shrimp then feed on these micro organisms and/or bacteria.