Can we talk about vacuuming substrate?

sarah

I have a year-old Neo (FR) tank that has eco complete substrate, and I do not vacuum it. I believe that I was taught not to here on this site. But now there is talk on another thread that substrates must be vacuumed. Is this just for active substrate?

If I should in fact be vacuuming it, how would I do that without sucking up all my little babies?

I also have my FR with eco-complete. When I do a water change and have my siphon close enough to the substrate, you can see it pick up a lot of small particles. The more you see it picks up, the more tempted I am to keep going at it but have to be wary of the shrimplets.

What kinds of siphons and mesh are you guys using? I can't imagine how I'm going to suck up the debris and leave behind shrimplets. I do have quite a bit of mulm building up in the front near the food bowl. I assume you guys are not stirring up or going into the substrate at all, right?

You only let the water run after you poke the tube/ hose about 1" into the substrate. In this way the baby will not be sucked. Even the baby accidentally took a roller coaster ride and drop into your bucket, it is totally fine for them. You just use need to scoop them back into the tank.

For the hose/ tube, if you are having a small tank then use a CO2 tube. They are small and will not suck in substrate plus they are stiff and poke into the substrate easily. If you have large tank, minimally you will need a 12/16mm tube. Protect it with a fine mesh filter bag (cut a piece out) so that that does not suck in substrate. It is easy to tie with wire tie.

Gunk building up at the substrate signify over-feeding. You may want to review your feeding regime. A proper regime and healthy substrate should not experience fast gunk build up.

I never siphon my substrate. Though when performing my seldom water changes I do run the hose over the top of the surface of the substrate if I notice build up of any sort. Just be careful of shrimplets, as notated above you may want to put something over the siphon to eliminate this risk. I also use Petri dishes, so it does help slow down the amount of food that would otherwise normally break down within your substrate.